Question about landscape fabric

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnut101, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

We have done an install and for some reason a few weeds are popping through the fabric. We didn't use the home cheapo crap either. Any suggestions as to what we did wrong?

2. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing, that happens with any fabric. Most of the time they start around the cut outs for the plants or where it over laps. Weed spray the areas and don't worry, some of the larger weeds can grow through just about anything, kill the roots and a little monthly maintenance will solve it.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok guys. That is what I plan to do. I feel better now.

Brant

5. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Just dont ever use it. Its a waste of money and its ugly because no matter how thick of rock/mulch you put over it, you still see it.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Yea the fabric is a complete waste of money, and time. Only noobs install fabric for people thinking it will work.

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Only use fabric under gravel with the purpose to keep the gravel from sinking into the dirt underneath.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. I only use it as a barrier for rock and that's it. Never do I call it weed control.

If you've got weeds, and your fabric has been installed correctly with a good 2-3 inch overlap at the seams and fabric pins, then the weeds are coming from the whatever mulch you used.

Even the cleanest gravel, or the best composted mulch will have weed seed in it.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yep...weed seeds can still germinate in actual mulch and any silt that may be in with the gravel.

10. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Weed fabric is a waste of money leave it for the homeowners. Weeds will grow through and or on top of the fabric so just spray or apply some treflan or other ground sterilizer to keep everything looking nice.