Question about Liability?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kgcs, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Why worry if you have insurance.....you pay them for a reason!

Part of doing business dealing with frivolous suits

2. kgcs

kgcs LawnSite Senior Member

I like my insurance rates to be low!

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I would consider adding a freeze sensor to selected systems as a matter of course, and not giving the customers a chance to say "don't install it"

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with bcg, be prepared to go to court.

Nobody has mentioned if the walk was wet from the irrigation (overspray, out of adjustment spray or rotor, runoff water, extended run times etc.). That's where I can see a problem arising. Why do you think boots winterizes in early August?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

In the future not only do you need to keep a paper trail, but send emails summarizing phone conversations. You will need to ask them to acknowledge the email also.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I'm up in MA. Here is the thing. The property owner has an obligation to provide traction control on any icy surface. Ex salt or sand on any ice. That is not your obligation.. Given that the customer is either providing and paying for the water via town supply or via their own pump then they put water on the sidewalk not you. A reasonable assumption from a reasonable man would be to not put water out when it can freeze. Again your not paid to monitor conditions that are an act of god. IMO
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I have it fairly lucky that above-ground backflow preventers make timely winterizing a must, leaving little opportunity for icing up a walk.