Question about license

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kenny25, Dec 17, 2005.

1. kenny25

kenny25 LawnSite Member

Hello, all
    Just a quick question. How do you go about getting a license for lawn care. im sure if varies from state to state, but wheres the starting point and does it need to be renewed yearly, or how often...
    Thanks

2. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

Here, it is not so much as a lawn care license, it's having state tax ID numbers, I run my business as a sole prop., so I use my SSN#. Also have good biz insurance for your company. Now if you are talking about Fert and pest license, contact your county ext office and they will get you on the right track. My fert lic. is good for 3 years here. My company name register for my business is good for 10 years. Hope this helps a little, good luck.payup

3. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Sort of the same here in NC. No license for the business is needed, but you will need liability insurance. Some accounts want you to have Workers Comp. which is expensive, so you would need several accounts requiring it for it to be worth it. I gave up one account that required WC. It wasn't worth the cost for the job. In nc if you put out any chemical at all (round-up, fertilizer, etc.) you have to have a Pesticide Applicator's License. I run mine as a sole proprietorship and claim my income with my regular income. (I run my LC part time for now).

4. mowforyourmoney

mowforyourmoney LawnSite Member
    from kc

where do you regester your bus. name at though?

5. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

You can call your state government office, they will get you in the right direction, they will run a check to make sure the biz name you are wanting is available, it cost me $ 100.00 to file, then another $ 35.00 to publish, and that is good for 10 years, at least here anyway. I would recommend doing it, otherwise down the road, someone could come along and snag your name and alot of the hard work you put into it.

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

At the ripe old age of 15, it is unlikely you will be able to sign the documents needed. You will need a parent or guardian to sign...

You also won't be able to get a pesticide license untill you are 18.

7. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Handled all mine at the courthouse in the register of deeds office. Make up your name, search their records, if nobody has it, you're all set. I think it cost me $15.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you cant legally sign a document that is binding, period.....