question about lime

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jeff_0, Apr 24, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

I do mostly mowing. fertlize and mulching... i haven't put lime down before... other than bring down the ph what is lime used for.. should it be combined when ferlizing.. what are the effects of it? in my turf management class i took in the past nothing much was really brought up on it... any input helpful..

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've only used it for balancing the ph level in the soil.

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Lime allows you to correct the PH of the soil. It normally takes some time for this to happen, which is why most suggest applying lime in the fall. The correct soil PH allows your fertilizer to work most effectively. Correct PH also is needed for proper lawn growth.

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

As rtom45 pointed out, a neutral pH will increase efficiency of fertilizers by increasing the microbial activity in the soil. Lime will increase (sulfer will lower) the soil pH, but how effectively it will do so can only be determined by a soil test which will show the cation exchange capability (CAC) of the soil and will show you how much lime is needed. Keep in mind that more than 50lbs per 1000 is like taking to much vitamen C, a waste. Lime can be applied almost any time of year, we do it in the winter as we have no other work.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

One other thing about lime. It not only RAISES the pH of a soil, but it provides the soil with calcium. I have recieved soil test results before where no lime was required. However the calcium level was low. One way to raise calcium levels, without raising pH is by using epson salts. Calcium by the way provides cell walls with strength. Otherwise, if you are too deficient, your plants will be weak... tomatos get rotten, and certain other things happen.

6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I've used lime several times to control moss growth on one of my clients lawns. About 25 pds. per 1,000 ft/sq kills out the moss and hasn't adversly affected the Ph. Don't ask me how it works, but it does!

7. DO A SOIL TEST!!!!

Lime mainly used to raise ph, but also to increase ca in soil if base saturation low.
    calacitic lime, or dolimitic lime depends on base saturation of ca and mg. Often gypsum used when ph ok, but ca is low. Only way to know, is to take a soil test.

DO SOIL TESTING!!!!!!!!!!

FOLLOW RECOMMENDATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lime can also eliminate moles, moles dont like bitter roots :)