1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about manufacurer's commercial use warranties

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Dec 17, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If you take a lawn mower in to the dealer for repairs, do the parts have to be so worn out that they won't function any longer, or can they just be close to worn out?

Example: The tranny cable is almost worn out. The knob on the end that lifts up the tranny lever is grooved severly, about 2/3's of the knob is gone, and a new one doesn't even have a groove. But it still functions as of today. Is this replaceable under the commercial use warranty?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not every but most(wear) issues are not covered under manufactures warranties most state defect in material or workmanship, wear issues usually have to be inspected by the dealer if still in the warranty period to determined if it will be covered. Hope this helps good luck.
  3. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

It depends alot on the dealer. In my experience a good dealer would replace something like that.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It would depend how far into the warranty period this unit is. I would think this would be under the normal wear category unless it happened during the first say 6 mos, But if anything is in question all a dealer has to do is call their distributor.
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Well, on a Honda 21" lawn mower, after about 6 months of in-season use, there are are a lot of parts that should be replaced, in my opinion. I know because we bought a brand new one on 06/30/06 and it needs all of the following:

Rear height adjustment levers
    Rear wheel bearings
    Tranny cable
    Clutch cable
    Rear wheel/tire assemblies
    Rear wheel/axle pawls
    Drive shafts
    Front Scroll
    Front axle dust seals
    Rear axle dust seals

Plus, all the tiny washers, rollers & pins associated with these parts. Because if you try to finish out the season without replacing these parts, you can count on break downs. We bought a brand new Honda on 04/26/06 and put it in use. It was in for breakdowns on a regular basis beginning on 10/03/06. I am putting around $325 worth of parts on it this winter.

I am planning to replace most of these parts in the winter and again around summer solstice on all my machines.

To this point, dealer warranty has been WORTHLESS because the local dealer stocks next to nothing and repairs are taking 10 to 14 days.

DFW Area Landscaper