Question about mulch

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dan99, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Dan99

Dan99 LawnSite Member

I planted some shrubs last year.. about 15 of em spaced 5' apart.. it`s a real pain trying to cut grass in between them since I have a 48' deck and they`re about 48' from the fence...so I want to border them off and fill the area with mulch. Theres grass there now, if I fill the area with mulch several inches deep will it kill the grass? Or do I have to till the whole area and then fill with mulch?
    thanx!

2. Steve Swail

Steve Swail LawnSite Member

Dan, what kind of grass you got? If it's a fescue or KBG then yeah, I'm sure you would choke it out by putting a 2" layer of mulch on top of it. And whatever happened to pop up you could spot spray with Roundup. But, from a mowing perspective I don't know if that's the ideal thing....I mean, wouldn't you want to have the mulch kind of at the same height as the grass, so you could just run right along the edge, with no lip or need to trim? Plus, if you take your time & make a nice, clean edge with something it will look great. I just did that with a 50 ft planting bed along the back of my house. Used a couple of stakes at each end with a thin piece of twine as my guide then took a flat shovel & followed the twine to make a clean, straight edge. Yeah, it was kind of a PITA but it looks great & I can run the mower with one wheel on the mulch. Anyway, just my experience....

3. Dan99

Dan99 LawnSite Member

Yeah I was hoping to make a nice clean edge. My local rental center has a machine that makes a perfect edge, the kind you are talking about. the other side is against a fence so I`ll be ok there, I just wanna make sure the mulch will kill the grass.. or most of it
    Not sure what kind of grass I have MIDWEST Grass????lol

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If you do this, you are going to find that the grass will still grow through the mulch.

Best scenario is to remove the turf, put down weed-block fabric, and then put down the mulch.

5. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

I agree with Jkason. Remove the grass (you could rent a power sod cutter) and then put down your mulch. An even better idea would be to plant a clump forming groundcover so the weeds won't have a chance to fill in the bare spaces over time.

Newt

6. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

Do not use fabric under mulch. Spraypaint your border. Spray roundup on all the grass within that area, being careful around the shrubs. Then edge with your machine. Then install the mulch. This will work well, and you won't have to take out sod.

7. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

I agree that a weed blocker is probably not a good idea, especially if more plants will be planted. With no disrespect to MILSINC, I would not recommend the use of herbicides in a situation where roots from shrubs, etc could be under the sod. There are numerous posts on arborist forums about trees dying or showing damage because herbicide was sprayed on the weeds under them. The stuff does translocate and can be carried by a breeze.

You can put down a layer of 6 DAMPENED sheets of black print newspaper to help smother what weeds might pop up. Be sure it's damp or you'll be chasing it all over the yard at the first breeze. Been there, done that! :walking:

Newt

8. Dan99

Dan99 LawnSite Member

9. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

There's a radiant heat weeder that might be even safer. I've read that they are very popular in Europe. Only a few distributors in the US.
    http://www.pesticide.org/radiant.html

Newt

10. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Take your weedeater and mow the grass down to the roots. Blow out grass clippings with a blower, Then spray a weedkiller on the grass roots and cover with mulch. Dig out any grass by hand that is to close to shrubs. I've done the above many times and its easy enough to do quickly.