question about mulching kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Sep 7, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question about mulching kits. Currently I mow at 3 1/4" on moist of my lawns. my question is., how much can a mulching kit cut off, before it starts to clog the deck and large clippings start showing up again? I would think it could shred at least 3" of clippings right? This would be for my 1996 Scag 52" SWZ w/b.

2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Try to always go by the 1/3 rule when mulching grass. if you cut at 3 1/4 inches then you don't need to be cutting off 3 inches of grass to get to that height. Now if it's just in a few small places and the rest of the yard is cutting 2 inches or less they your ok. If the grass is wet it will clump if not then maybe a second high speed pass will take care of the tall stuff or wet stuff.

If your customer is making you wait to cut there grass till it's 6inches tall then convert them to a weekly cutting or drop them. cutting 3 inches off all the yard is way too much strain on the mower.

Scot

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Lawnkid

I could be mistaken, but I don't think they made the advantage deck in 96, only the standard. You can not use the mulch kit on a standard deck. Maybe go with doubles, they work pretty well on leaves.

Jay

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

ScotLawnCare,
    I agree with you but what if there is a week of like straight rain and I don't get a chance to mow my lawns so.. But thanks fo the thought about that. The bag that came with my mower sucks and it mleaves a poor cut when it's on becuase it takes away the lift for some reason.

Shady Brook,
    I didn't know about that. The guy at my dealer told me that I could put one on. But then again he din't say how well it would work. Could i build one myself? If so can you show pics. Thanks

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to manufacture your own baffles and the plate, go for it. A mulch kit is useless without the baffles, but I think you could do it if you had some pictures of one.