Question about my bermuda grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bfredrickson, Nov 12, 2006.

1. bfredrickson

bfredrickson LawnSite Member

Newbie here....

We have lived in our house for 2 years now, I'm in charlotte nc. It was sodded with bermuda(common I'm guessing) when it was built. In my back yard there are large portions of it that just won't grow tall, it stays at basically ground height almost like a fairway. While the rest of it grows to an inch or 2. It gets plenty of water and is fertilized with Scotts. Probably about 25% of my backyard is like this. What they heck is wrong with it?

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

bfredrickson, I live in Smithfield NC, Do you have any pics!

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I've seen compacted soil cause this.The bermuda roots struggle to get water,nutrients,and air and it causes stunted growth and sometimes it just dies in that area.
    Aerate the lawn after green up and see if that helps.It won't hurt to aerate multiple times in a season either.Just stay away from aerating "during" green up and as the bermuda is going dormant.

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that it is a compacted soil issue. I have bermuda grass in my yard and I have areas where I park the trucks and trailers next to the drive way and grassy areas right next to the driveway entrace that my wife drives over all of the time that the grass is green and grows, but remains very short like you describe.

Loosing the soild through aeriation will help. Once it greens up, you can also use a small tiller to till narrow sections to loosen the soild and then fertilize and water heavily and it will grow back quickly. Then till another area and repeat.

5. jdramr4

jdramr4 LawnSite Member

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have alot of shade in that area? Also I don't think any contractor would install Common Bermuda, mostly 419, for the best Bermuda you really need to ask for certified other wise you get just about every kind of Bermuda out there, TiftSport is what I would use, the color will be the same 20 years from now when you order it. Also with new construction they scape all the topsoil away and leave the trash dirt behind, I would put out a lot of lime this winter and also in spring before you spread a high nitrogen fertilizer to wake up the Bermuda, also aerate the heck out of it this spring. Good luck to you

7. bfredrickson

bfredrickson LawnSite Member

Thanks a bunch for the replys. I'll aerate this spring after green up!

:usflag:

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

After the core aerating process...top dress with about 1/4 inch of sand and rake it in and level. With the proper fert and water...that bermuda will jump out of the ground. Must have full sun.