Question about newer lazers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by chesterlawn, Jun 27, 2013.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

The way they are designed the wheel motor pump combo is located very close to the engine. Would it make any sense to put a heat shield between to two to keep the heat from the engine off the pump or am I just over thinking this?

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Both engine and pumps pull air down. There is a large opening for the heat to dissipate (IMO). Would you prefer it radiate up to the back of the seat to keep you warm on cool days? :)

3. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

No I wouldn't, the pumps and engine sit side by side so I was thinking of a shield between the two. I don't think that would change the air flow it would just keep the engine heat from the pumps. Maybe it just isn't necessary.

4. balms

balms LawnSite Member

It would seem that if shield was necessary (or even helpful) that it would have been fitted at the factory. Exmark has been successful by building pretty well thought out products. Have to believe that if their R&D showed that a shield would be advantageous there would be one there.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2500 Hour coverage By eXmark Indicates a heat shield is Not Needed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. salvagedrover

salvagedrover LawnSite Member

do you really think the engine makes more heat than the hydraulic system? i think if anything, you should worry about running multi-viscosity weight oil in your engine, unless it's liquid cooled, and getting hot spots and carbon build up in various areas inside the engine. just leave it alone, do you not think exmark doesn't do r&d? that's research and development for you hilljacks out there.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Kohler 30W in most engines unless they have a specific requirement. Our heat index was 104° yesterday so we are well acquainted with high operating temps.

The hydros should be serviced by the dealer with the first service @ 250 hours, then every 500 hours.

Oldtimer
    eXmark dealer since 1994
    Kohler SD
    Kohler expert dealer

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013