1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about non-clients that watch you work.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tcls83, Jun 11, 2006.

1. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Sometimes when I am out mowing, some random person will walk to near to where I am cutting and just stand there and stare at me working. It sometimes looks as if this person has a question to ask me, and they are just waiting for me to get off my mower. But they don't make any hand gestures or anything similar if they really had a question. They just stand there and stare. I just wave to them (no wave returned) and continue cutting. I don't stop my work to talk to them. After a while they walk away. It's kind of weird if you ask me.

It seems that if you went up to them, and asked "Can I help you" they wouldn't be worth the time for me to step off and talk to them, because they don't need any work done, they just want to watch.

I see plenty of guys on zero-turn riders around here. Watching someone on one isn't that interesting to me. But could they just be fascinated by watching the zero-turns in action?

Would you go and talk to them? Could it be a potential client? Or would you do as I have done- just give a friendly wave and continue working? Am I being rude?

Just curious as to how you guys go about situations like this.
  2. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

maybe they see you and realize that they picked the wrong career
  3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Just wave if they are miserable enough to not wave back you dont want them as a customer

We waive and honk at everyone tlo add excitement to the day and we have many neighbors who we are frienddly with. Some we picked up, Some are like if i didnt have the same guy for 30 years i would use you guys, Some are like when i give up doing this **** myself i will let you do it....

There was this old old asian who came up to my partner while weedwacking.. i mean real close and staring for a minute or 2 so he turns it off and says hi how are you ... And he doesnt respond and just starts touching the wacker and my partners walks away from him and starts working again
  4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

You said touching the wacker!!!!:laugh:
  5. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they want to see how you stripe or learn how to mow better. I've stopped and watched before.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the other side of the property, and continue mowing. When the watcher follows you, go back to where you were before. Repeat if neccesary.
  7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have another LCO watch me while i do his neighbors yard, they are a large company but my client who lives next to them says the guys are misserable and huge pains in the a$$.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I do, between that and doing a hair-raising stunt where I sometimes lose a bit of control, most move along.
    When that doesn't work, I watch them back, mainly because I've had equipment stolen from me before. Sometimes, in the same move the watcher(s) remind me to lock up my stuff, so I go to the truck and put the chain and lock on everything... I have never had anyone outlast this.

I never had the problem of watchers per se thou, I always have the problem of people coming up expecting me to stop, step off and shut down to see what it is they want... And you are correct, it is about always a waste of time. The only weird thing I find is the ones who are walking past and as I nowadays always look when I see motion, I see them throwing a peek inside the truck bed (and I mean, bending over to LOOK in there) and I'm like wtf...

The ones that frustrate me the worst wait until I'm switching equipment and catch me at the truck... Which is one reason why I let the mower 'cool' off idling and get the weedeater running, then shut off the mower (which is also how at times the mower idles until I'm done weedeating as I forget to shut it off LOL).

Over time, it has gotten better... Something to do with my noobness disappearing and also the growth of an extra thick layer of skin.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

If I see someone looking at me while I'm working I ask them if they want their windows cleaned, I do that all the time, even when people don't watch me. If they are on their deck and I see them as I go up a ladder I say hi then ask them, not always but enough. I do the same with lawn care, picked up extra power raking jobs, not sure if I got any extra lawns out of it.

Make sure you got decals and a phone number on your truck and always carry business cards if you're trying to grow your business. IF not, then no decals and scowl at anyone looking at you, lol.