1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about Opti-2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhussey, Oct 14, 2005.

1. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used the little small containers of 2 cycle oil to mix with 1 gallon of gas, however I have been hearing good things about Opti-2 2 cycle mix. Problem is the bottle of Opti-2 I have says it will mix 10 gallons of gas, but that only equals out to about .8 fluid oz. per gallon. This don't seem to be enough just by going by the amount I pour in from the small 1 gallon mix oil. How do you guys mix this oil mix for your equipment? Note I am only running a Husquvarna weed eater and blower with this mix. Any help will be grateful.
  2. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Opti-2 is sold in small pouches that are to be used with 1 gallon of gas. That is what I use. I mix 1 or 2 gallons at a time. This is great stuff, and it can be used in the new 4 mix engines.
  3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

The pouches are 1.8 oz.
  4. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your help and prompt reply.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Its best to mix in small amounts so the gass don't go "stale". Use the 1 gal size mix packet.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I use the 2.5 gallon mix packets. 2.5 gallons lasts me 2 to 3 weeks generally and i'm solo. coming into fall I mix 2 2.5 galon cans at a time because the backpack blower is a fuel hog!
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

When i mix I just "Eye it up " so to speak. Blue hue= ultra lean, light blue= lean, Medium blue= good ratio Dark blue= rich
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Go to page two of this three page offering of lubriction products. You will find Opti-2 products in various packages, e.g. 1 gallon mix, 2.5 gallon mix, 1 quart bottle, 1 gallon bottle, etc.

The supplier is Jagor Equipment (Long Island, NY?).

The cost for the mixed fuel using the 1 gallon packets is MUCH higher than measuring your own from a quart or gallon bottle.

I use a gallon bottle with a measuring bottle for accurate mix ratio, 9 oz of oil to 5 gallons of gasoline, about a 75:1 mix. The packets don't give you any option on ratios, but the larger bottles give you flexibility.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

just "eyeing it up is a good way to ruin your equiptment -take the time to properly measure the mix. your equiptment will thank you for it. i use 5 gallons of mix a week so opti 2 is just too expencive for me to use. mercury quicksilver is what i use
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've used opti-2 for five years now in everything, even my C4 Shindaiwa. Wouldn't want anything else