1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about over-spraying.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TurfRyder, Jun 10, 2008.

1. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

I am new to the biz and have one more question to ask. I am ordered by my company to broad spray all turf regardless of weed populations. I could have a 4 acre site with only a handful of weeds but I am still told to spray the entire turf. Is this normal? I am on my second app at most sites now and feel I am wasting product and laying down un-needed chemicals (2 4D mostly). I would think I could target weeds as I see them by this point.

Am I right to request this or should I continue to follow orders and say nothing?
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

If the company isn't breaking the rules regarding # of 2,4-D apps per year, I would just do what you're told. While blanket spraying CAN be wasteful, from a business perspective that chemical is far cheaper than paying you the extra time to scour the yard and spot spray. Thus, the company you work for is just doing what is in their best financial interest.

I blanket applicate my customers with weed killer. Several of them don't need it, but I can apply to a whole yard and be gone in 6 minutes... verses 10-12 if I were to scour the yard spot spraying. Not to mention that if I blanket applicate I know I hit everything (as opposed to relying on my visual acuity to pinpoint every single weed in the yard). It's just logical. This is about making money, plain and simple...
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Twice a year, the properties are blanketed. There are always so many little new weeds that you don't see. If you don't, 2 to 3 weeks later, you will have a bunch popping up.
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree with spot spraying turf. As Runner said, there are weeds that have emerged, that you do not see when you are walking the lawn. My issue with spot spraying lies in the overdosages and consequent damage to the turf in that spot. I am one of the most expensive applicators in Hawaii and on lawnsite, but people are more than willing to pay, because I do not burn holes in the lawn and I achieve excellent control of weeds that the spot spraying gardeners/"landscapers" have failed to control.
  5. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

That makes sense. Thanks for the input everyone!
  6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Thats an arogant statement:weightlifter: