1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

question about parking in driveway (mechanical question)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grass disaster, Apr 25, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i just picked up a brand new 8X16 trailer today. i was parking it in my driveway. when i take it our of park it sounds like it is straining the transmition quite a bit. !!CLUNK!!

i have a pretty steep driveway and i an not planning on parking at my house all the time.

my question is, is this hard on the tranny when i do this? could i get by with setting the e-brake before i put it in park?

by the way i have a chevy 3/4 hd 2001
  2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I always use the parking brake anytime I park on a significant incline. Helps to take the pressure off the parking pawl in the the tranny, and makes it a ton easier to shift into gear when you are ready to get moving again. Oh, and it will get rid of the nasty 'clunk' also. :D
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

yea all it is is theres alot of pressure on the trans due to the weight of the truck, my truck will do this whenever i park on a hill with out a trailer, I just press on the brake real hard and put it in gear and it doesn't allow the truck to shift, the e-brake will work too like said above.
  4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I would use the parking brake as well which I do loaded or not flat ground or not. The GM's do tend to have a clunky sounding tranny when shifting from park anytime though. My Allison does it too.