Question about Pet safety....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firelawn, May 17, 2007.

1. firelawn

firelawn LawnSite Member

I live in Oklahoma.

I just recently started having TruGreen come out and spray the yard. I signed up for a year long program for 8 applications....

Today they came by and did a touchup with MSMA....

I was told by TruGreen that it would be safe to let my dog back on the yard after it drys, which would take about 30 minutes. However, I have decided that I will keep my pet in for 24 hours after application...

Last year I used some Roundup on the yard and I think that is what made my pet sick (very sick, causing liver problems) -- I'm wondering if people out there with more experience with this kind of stuff could advice me if 24 hours wait will be okay for the pet's safety....

Ann info will help.... thanks in advance.

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Your Trugreen guy gave you correct information. Once product drys is ok to let the pet on lawn (although we generally recommend 2-4 hours depending on the weather that day)

Many folks "feel better" by keeping their pet in for 24 hours or even longer...but not necessary. Then again...your pet may be sensitive so your judgement of 24 hours will give you piece of mind and keep your pet happy and active
    good luck

3. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

My dog gets sick any time she eats grass.

So I changed her dogfood to where she doesn't have digestive problems.

As far as the toxicity of products to treat lawns., it is labeld by the EPA
    for a reason.

And furthermore, it should have a registration that is further indicative to what the naysayers suggest on what is allowable in your specific area for use.

I would have asked chemlawn to tell me what msma's msds consist of.
    But, I dunno nuthing so maybe i am b wrong.

24 hours? just water the lawn before the green pup goes out again.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I highly doubt that Round-up caused your pet to get sick. It is one of the safest chemicals out there. Unless your pet physically ATE every leaf of every plant you sprayed. In that case, you need to watch your pet.

If you pet IS sensitive, I'd wait until your application is rained in.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The Federal Environmental Protection Agency, has laborotories test for safety to pets who might walk on, or even eat, treated grass. The dangerous products were outlawed long ago. The EPA usually requires a safety margin of 100 times. If your whole lawn were sprayed a hundred times you would approach the danger point.

Once it is mixed with water, the MSMA they use is no more dangerous than the MSMA you can buy as an Ortho product.

Spot spraying uses only about a hundreth as much chemical an an overall spray.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

In fact, from what I hear, once TruGreen/Chemlawn dilutes it, your tap water is probably more harmful.

Lawnappmo likes this.
  7. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

scientific test indicate the smell is more harmful.
    A dogs nose is more sensitive than ours.
    And may affect their breathing.
    Just let poochy go out but then come back in until it's watered in.

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Why worry you can always get another dog.

9. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

We have several customers that have small dogs that have bad allergies. They break out in a rash from the treatment until it is watered in. We give 24hr notice to those type of customers, and they take the dog to board it for 1-2 days. Once product is watered in it is perfectly fine. I guess some animals are more allergic than others. Agreed with the above post, we tell customer once product is dry it is typically harmless, unless your dog is like a goat and grazes in you yard.
    I feel sorry for you that you have TG doing your lawn. I'm not sure about the 8 treatments, sounds like a lot for OK. We offer a 3 and 5 treatment program, with insect and grub as an add on. If they are treating crabgrass or other grassy weeds with msma, dont expect very good results. There are a lot of other products that work better. BTW msma didn't get the epa renewal, so when current stock is all gone, they will be forced to use something else.
    I'm not bashing msma by any means, but for our co. application, it doesn't make sense. 2-3 treatments to get rid of weeds doesn't make customers very happy. In other areas, this is an excellent product, and very inexpensive.

Good Luck,
    John...

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

This post was very enjoyable for me. I agree with all of you. Lots of humor in this one too -- thanks.

My best friend died when he was in 8th grade from paint fumes from his father's car paint shop. Nowadays, pesticides are developed (and approved by the U.S government) for use among huimans, pets, children, and wildlife.

Nice post! american