question about pot ash

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by tewitt1949, Jun 10, 2013.

1. tewitt1949

tewitt1949 LawnSite Member

I had a soil sample done and it said I had no pot ash on my lawn. The questions I have, do I need to be as careful applying the quanity of pot ash as I do applying nitrigon? If I apply too much is there a chance I can do damage and kill what grass there is?

Thanks in advance Terry

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Applying a good winterizer fert with N and K will probably be adequate... Did the recommendation give you a specific number as for 'corrective' amount???

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No, not as careful, and yes, you can apply too much.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Read the soil report very carefully. There is no such thing as no potash. It is more likely in Michigan--that potash was adequate and they were suggesting no potash was needed.

Regarding potash, How many pounds per acre did they say you had?

The usual fertilizer for midwest soils is about a 4 to 1 ratio of nitrogen to potash.
    For instance a ratio of 28-0-7 would work Ok. But the nitrogen should be about 50 percent as slow release nitrogen.

Sandy soils need a little more potash. Soils with low organic matter would need a steady supply of potash, as such low-quality soils so not retain potash very well. Likewise soils that receive heavy irrigation lose potash due to leaching--potassium (potash) compounds are mostly water soluble.

5. tewitt1949

tewitt1949 LawnSite Member

I answered my own question by expermenting. I took a hand full of potash and dropped in in a 6" area and waited to see what happened to the grass. After the first rain the grass in that 6 inch area looked sick and may die in time. So you can put too much potash on.

6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

mop has a lot of chlorine in it and that is what probably what happened to your "6 inch" test. try a small plot (use a spreader) and put 1/2 lb per 1000.
    recheck your soil sample recommendations. I had a guy try to tell me his soil sample said to put 4 lbs of N per 1000 sq ft. I tried to tell him that had to be for the whole yr (st. aug)

7. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Something to keep in mind is that if you are removing clippings you are mining a great deal of K out of your lawns. It could amount to as much as a pound per 1,000 per year.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I select ferts with pottasium sulfate aka sulfate of potash vs muriate of potash. Very hard to find, mostly found in greens grade ferts which tend to be pricey. I custom order mine by the tons to get the product I want at a reasonable price.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good point... I wonder just how much nutrient is being removed from the soil everytime the clippings are bagged and dumped... restoring NPK would not likely cover the whole spectrum of what was taken out...