Question about prep work before laying sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ratherbfishing3574, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ratherbfishing3574

ratherbfishing3574 LawnSite Member

I was wondering how you guys prep a yard before laying sod. Lets say the yard has several dips in it, and scattered weeds and grass. Also how do you get the slope right? Everytime I do a sod job it seems like I spend forever trying to get the slope right. Thanks for any advice!!!

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes you just have to rake it out by hand.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i would have the grade corrrect as far as dips, level, and slope weather it was sodding or regular seeding.
    mike

4. ratherbfishing3574

What would you do about the weeds and grass? Round up, then till, or round up rake up debris then lay sod, or just till, level then lay sod. Another words how would you prepare soil and would you add any amendments?

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

i would remove all the weeds. Till them in will give you more weeds.

6. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Rent a toro dingo or a skid steer with a power rake. That will take the dips out and chew up all the old weeds & grass and leave a nice smooth seed bed.
    You can add compost or top soil before power raking. Add started fert before laying the sod. Roll the sod to insure good contact with the soil. Water every day for a few weeks....................:usflag:

7. ratherbfishing3574

Thanks for all the great advice guys much appreciated.