question about propogating ivy geraniums

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by terracare, Apr 5, 2003.

1. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

how do i harvest seed from an ivy geranium plant?

randy

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You're going to have to use smaller words here. :D

Actually, I have no idea. Sorry.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

you don't take seeds from most geraniums. most all are grown from vegatitave cuttings. Bascially break off ends of the 'branches' and stick them in very well watered potting mix, you can use a rooting hormone if you want, but not necessary. If you are doing this at home, put some plastic wrap over the container to hold in the humidity. after like a week to 10 days, keeping check that the soil is always moist, you should have roots.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Ivy geraniums are propagated by cutting. Cuttings should be 1 ½ to 2 ½ inches long with one expanded leaf, a few small leaves and a good terminal bud. Cuttings are placed in a rooting medium of peat or peat-lite mix and fertilized with nitrogen and potassium after two weeks. Total rooting may take 4-5 weeks. Plants are misted frequently the first four days after placement in the rooting medium. The frequency of misting is gradually reduced so that after 7-10 days plants are only watered once a day. Once rooted the cuttings are transplanted into baskets, usually 3-5 per basket depending upon its size. Fertilization is necessary at this point to ensure plants with many flowers. The plants are usually irrigated only in the morning to avoid edema problems. The amount of light and temperature of the greenhouse are also important factors. Too much light and high temperatures cause poor growth and reduced flowering. Growth regulators are applied to control plant spread. As with all ornamental plants, managing pests and diseases is a critical component of ivy geraniums production since any damage usually renders a plant unsaleable.

Credit for this goes here:
    http://pestdata.ncsu.edu/CropProfiles

5. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

i be careful propogating geraniums because unless you are going to use them strickly for your on use at home it is againist the law and if you get caught they( the companies such as goldsmith, olgavee, fisisher ect ) can sue your butt there are patents on these products and we the growers pay a heavy royality to propogate and resell the product plus if you havent already heard there is a virus going around that will kill geraniums and other plants called rastonia ( southern wilt ) and this is cause by using mother plants ( stock ) that are not virus indexed ( could be old stock left from last year ) or other infected plants we in indiana have several greenhouses under quarintine right now because of it all because some infected plants got into circulation take it from a growers who know about this we had to destroy some 10,000 geraniums 5 years ago because we got or had 10 infected plants well enough rambling from me just my 2 cents worth