1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

question about pump size

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by topdog, Jul 8, 2006.

1. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Is there a formula to figure what pump size you will need for your pond?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

What the pond will be used for will determine how much flow you will need. What are you going to use this pond for?

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I heard once that you try to recirculate all the water in your pond within an hour. Therefore, if you have a 1000 gallon pond, go for at least a 1000 gpm pump, but this is a very broad generalization with other factors obviously entering into this as well.

With my koi pond, I'm running probably 2.5 times pump to pond size, with only about 10' head. I generally restrict the output of the pump slightly to keep it operating over it's efficiency curve.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Before TopDog buys a $5000k pump, you meant GPH not GPM :)

That would make your pond into a nice whirlpool :laugh:
  5. Critical Care

Lapsus linguae, or perhaps I should say a slip of the mind and fingers. True, true, true a whirlpool through and through. Hey, it would certainly recirculate the water, eh? And the fish... and the plants... and the rocks...:dizzy:
  6. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

well, that is what i meant i guess is a formula to calculate for gallons. a friend of mine has an old concrete pond in his back yard. it is 12 ft wide by 22feet long and 4 feet deep. it leaks, has no pump currently, so we are gonna have to pretty much redo it. i think we are gonna just put a underlayment and liner over it. bust out the bricks that surround the outside of it, so we can set medium boulders around the edge to hold and conceal the liner.
    it will be mainly to look at with probably a few gold fish in it. not a super water fall or anything. i told him i didn't know much about them, but i could probably go on here and get a lot of info for him. thanks again. my local supplier (that i buy landscaping stuff from) told me on saturday that he would need around a 400 dollar pump. i forget the size i wrote it down, but have given all the info to my friend. but, now like a lot of stuff i end up getting into it after doing research and looking at some of the pictures on here. my wife says i am obsessive about new stuff when i first start doing research on it. thanks again!
  7. Critical Care

12 x 22 x 4 = 1056 cubic feet of water. 6.7 gallons of water = 1 cubic foot, so 1056 x 6.7 = 7075 gallons.