Question about putting in a flower bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Youngster, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Youngster

Youngster LawnSite Member
    from Texas

My aunt has asked me to do some work for her, and one of the things is to put her in a couple flower beds. Whats the best way to do it? I know i gotta dig up the grass. What is best way to keep weeds out? What kinda mulch/soil should i use? I guess if you could list you step by step way it would really help! I would like to thank everyone in advance! I really appreciate your help!

Youngster

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Look at a Brown Industries Bed edger. Does more stuff, less money, and steerable. If you must have a sod cutter, look at a company called Turfco.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

2.outline the bed (shape of bed) with either spraypaint or marking chalk.
    1. check how compact the soil is with soil compaction tester
    4. is the soil is clay, replace it with a good top soil and organic mix.( if your just going to plant flowers) if compact and not clayly rototil, you'll only need to go down 6 inches if just flowers.
    3. scrap the grass using a spade and edge the bed
    5. plant flowers, go to local green house and ask them for a herbicide like preen but something better.
    thats just a easy way to do it, i tried to simpify it for you. sorry its outa order, i never really thought of putting it on paper just did when i work.