Question About Quickbooks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawn, Jun 8, 2007.

1. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all, I bought QB and so far I like it, my only problem is how and where do I record my expenses?
    For example: I want to enter all the materials invoices that I've paid. Where do I do that?
    Thanks!

2. one thing you can do is go into the check register and record them there.

3. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Go to vendors, then enter bills, and then when you are readyto pay, you go to pay bills.
    If you are entering checks that you have written, or are going to print a check then click the check shortcut, or go to banking and click write checks.

4. lawn

JB1 and Tony thank you for your help.

I do not use QB to write checks, I'd like to do it manually. I just started with QB, maybe I should play around then learn how to send checks from QB

If you have any more suggestions please let me know,

Thanks

5. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Find a QB pro in your area, have them come in and set your company up properly and teach you how to maintain it. There should be a tab for QB pro in the help menu.

A few bucks now will work wonders for you down the road.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This is true ... go or get some QB face to face ..... one on one help ... have em show you the real basics so you can begin to see the real power behind QB ...

Writing checks in QB is one of em ... once set up correctly .... months ....years down the road the history will give you huge gains .... like setting a budget .... tracking expenses .... understanding bottom line cost ....on n on n on

I don't do hand checks anymore ...I use a Debit card when in the field n later enter it in QB has a Debit within my checking account

Back to just hit the surface of your question ....you should set up your expense accounts n break em down into sub-accounts

ie the Main account name may be "taxes" & within this account are sub accounts ....like property tax, sales taxes (if you have to apply this according to ones state ...in FL we don't have to apply sales taxes to our billing) and all other related taxes

Another account .....like in say the equipment or assets .... I have a main account "mowers" and within that are sub accounts fore each mower ...which when I have an expense I apply it to the exact mower which used the expense ....may seem over board or such .... but down the road I can see true cost to each piece of equip ...n when I sell it or such ... I can truely track the exact cost of that piece

I have another a Main account "2 cycle" n with in this is sub accounts of say "blowers" or "weed eaters" now in these I don't distinguish each piece by themselves ..... ie 1 weed-eater from another ....

Setting up the foundation of QB is very ....very important ...it will set up how you ....later down the road ....will be able to truely track your numbers ....compare years to others ....set up budgets ...based on previous years or even which months seem to be the largest month fore say "fuel expense" ....ie fore me this is June-July ....not that this is a no brainier ...but I can make true comparisons to other years to really see how much my cost really did go up

7. lawn

Thank you guys, I will look into it right now. Thanks again!!!!!!:drinkup: