Question about rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j05h22, May 15, 2008.

1. j05h22

j05h22 LawnSite Member

OK say i've got some yards I've scheduled to mow on Friday. Say it rains thursday, friday, saturday, and is too wet to mow on Sunday. Do I call and wait until Friday to get back over there or do I cut on Monday or as soon as I can make them up? What do you guys do? If you cut early in the week how do you get them back to Fridays without messing everything up. Thanks in advance:cool2:

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If it says rain, plan on mowing anyway. Even a few hours after a shower will be time well spent cutting grass. It's a little messy sometimes but you will go broke worrying about the rain forecast. I find most days that call for rain I can still get in at least a few hours if not the whole day. If you miss some lawns cut them as soon as possible and go back to your original schedule. You will miss more work waiting for rain than you will from raining the old saying goes.

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Tacoma, What is a Yaris? 40 MPG sound mighty fine compared to my 12 MPG if that with my 2500 HD Bowtie

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

It is made by toyota and is a very compact car that could not replace that bowtie of yours for yard work

5. Twister Turf Man

Twister Turf Man LawnSite Member

Hey fellow Okie. Yeah this weather has got always guessing, but you gotta keep plugging along. Hopefully your customers will be cool and just let you adjust your schedule. They realise mother nature can throw a kink in your schedule. Might work a little bit longer one day to catch up? If it is not just pouring you should be able to mow. If they give you too much crap, just move on find a different customer to make up for it.
    You cannot control the weather. Thats just what I would do.

6. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

the problem i ran into cutting in the rain is the tracks from the mower tear up the grass. Even when you are being careful i don't mind the clumping or the trimming of wet grass i just hate what the tiers can do to the yard. and bootprints turn into large puddles.

7. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

It's a rather small car from Toyota:

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/