question about rainouts.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timmac, May 9, 2008.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

if you have several thursday yards and it rains you out that day. do you mow them friday and then the next week start mowing them on thursday again?

2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm mowing wensday yards right now (friday) been raining buckets all week and is raining right now. trying to mow through it and yes if everything is decent next week I will mow them on wensday if all posible to get my schedule back in order and try to free up my weekends. Yea right :hammerhead: only if the rain lets up:dizzy:

3. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

yes, get back on schedule

4. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys keep a schedule like that? Its my 3rd year in business. I tell my customers we mow every 10-12 days...and it varies w/ weekends, rain, holidays, etc..

Do you guys mow everyone on a weekly basis....or do you have customers you mow exacly at 14 days? My schedule is always different....customers/route is pretty much the same, but not what day they get cut is never the same. My guys haven't cut in two days and probably won't tomorrow....its raining here in Va. :cry:

Peace,
    Gary

5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Yes,put them right back into schedule the following week.We try to watch the weather and if rain is in the forcast we will cut a day earlier.For example our Thursday lawns we did this Wednesday because the end of the week looked rainy. We basically squeezed 4 days cutting into 3 days.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

we just keep mowing in order so its raining today and tomorrow so when we do start back up if we are really behind ill take a guy from one of the landscape crews and beef up the mowing crew to go faster and they will have to work later but it will all get back on track

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I've had thursdays lawns pushed back to the following monday and then cut them again on friday of the same week.

My lawns are on a 7 day schedule. Cutting every 10 days cuts your gross income by 25% per month.

8. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my yards are weekly. have a couple every 14 days and several large properties opposite each other on a 10 day (Tues and Fridays) Try to keep everything on a schedule so things run smoother and customers learn when your going to be there. Most like that and if they want extras they know to contact before you come and some will even make sure gates are unlocked or stuff picked up for their certain day. Don't need to make phone calls ahead of time or talk with customers too much when things run smooth, saves much valuable time.

9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I cut on a 4-5 day scedule during the heavy growing seasons. Figure that one out.

Automaticaly increase mowing revenue by 20% each week.
    Never mow any lawn on the same day of the week. Keeps the customer guessing.
    All lawns cut on Monday get cut on Friday
    Month would go like this....M F T TH M, ect

Any raindays mean we cut on Saturday, Wednesday

10. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

OMFG are you kidding me?

10 to 14 days? What is the top growth like after two weeks in a growing season?

Do you bag, or cut the yard 15 times/blow to make it look right. :cool2: