Question about RBG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Same one, not sure why they drop the one number off of it. ;)

3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Spend a little more and buy a true blade sharpener... not a beefed up grinder.

Magna-Matic

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Keith, you might want to hang on a bit before getting one. I am going to be demoing the Magna Matic machine in a week or two and see how this machine works. It is supposed to be twice as fast as the RBG. As soon as I demo it, I'll write a report on it. ;)

5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

No doubt the magna-matic would save time in sharpening blades if you were in the business of sharpening blades, but if you are simply an LCO, I seriously doubt you'd find an appreciable difference in the finished product of an RBG or the Magna-Matic when all is said and done. The Magna-Matic just does the same job quicker, but at a much higher initial cost than the RBG. MHO............Lynn

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While were advertising our favorites.... Brandlein Machine Company's Fireball 300C is very fast, very powerful, and built to last a half dozen decades or so. http://www.gpweb.net/fireball

They'll ship factory direct to your doorstep. I got my newest in 2 days! Don Brandlein is a real nice, honest guy and follows through with what he says.

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I demo'd the Magna matic at the Expo in Louisville. Very nice machine. They have 2 models. 1 will just sharpen straight blades, the other will also do mulching blades, in other words blades with all sorts or curves in the cutting edge. I thought the second machine was really a good idea. Also you could advertise to sharpen blades trying to recoup money spent on the grinder. If you get the 2 in 1 Magna Matic the cost is around 950.00. You will also need a blade balancer which is 175.00. You will have to just bite the bullet (like me) and just do it. Once I get the whole set up I will be so much better off, never having to go to the shop and pay someone else to do a 1 minute job. Also you will be in control of the edge on your blades, and the balance also. Good luck on your choice!

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: $950+ $175 for a balancer? Looks like I'll stick with the angle grinder :confused:

9. dhicks

dhicks Member

At last I finally learned to use my RBG at Expo. The folks took about 30 minutes to run through the various techniques for sharpening regular blades and mulching blades. In one of my previous posts, I complained about the lack of instructions for blade sharpening from RBG.

I did visit the folks at Magna-Matic and bought the blade balancer. The show special for the balancer was $100.00 and I could not pass up the deal. The folks from RBG and Magna-Matic are both great to deal with.

10. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

DHICKS, could you please take a few minutes and summarize the techniques you learned for the RBG? When I first got mine, I tried to duplicate the factory milled edge and pushed the blade against the wheel at a 45 degree angle, the same as the Magnamatic. That worked ok, but several others on this board said no keep the blade at 90degrees to the wheel so that's what I've been doing with good results, but I'm interested in what I might be missing so any input could be helpful. Thanks, and I'm glad you were able to attend Expo. Will M>