question about reaching limbs

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by Guest, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

We use shotguns. Just shoot the limb and it will fall out. :laugh: Just kidding. DONT DO THAT.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I would like to disagree with the pole breaking thing. HEAVY yes Bending Yes. I had 5 6ft wood poles together in VT. I have also had 3 6ft and 3 4ft together to cut a dead lime in a hazard location. I was in a bucket, and the ground guys added the 4ftrs as I went up. Cutting was interesting but it worked. Saved me from climbing past a very large bees nest for one 4" dead limb.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Any pictures of the tree.

I think that will be the best way to get a definitive answer out of all of it.

What about a rope climb up to high as you feel safe and then use a Pole Saw to get the branch out and then make a proper pruned finish cut.

The Silky's can reach 21+ feet.

What type of tree is it?

Location in the yard?

Just wondering what exactly do you do in the tree care industry?

Throwline, A Big Shot, and 120' of Safety Blue

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I will second this idea.

Just Kidding.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

How do you propose making a 30ft hanger pole. I am not trying to knock the idea one bit just understand.

The fiberglass poles at 8 ft each well 4 of them would be 32 ft but I dont think you could lift that with out breaking or extreme bend.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Now I have never done any of this major poling together.

But logic seems to tell me that getting a throw line out of the tre and cutting or breaking a limb would be a bit different.

Now again, I dont have experience here because I have never done it so not picking a fight just askin how much control do you really have in that situation. Def. agree staying very vertical is by far the key.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

That just may be your best option. Considering that I can only think of 3 ways to get that high in a tree: spurs (no good here), bucket/crane, or rope. If you want to shoot a throwline that high you could use a Big Shot or for a cheaper route you could go with a HyperDog Launcher and some PVC. It even comes with a replacement band so you could use the slingshot for short throws and some PVC and a little steel to make your own launcher.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a tree that has 3 large limbs cracked but still hanging up in the tree, I cut 2 down, the last one I thought would be an easy cut ended up getting me in the head and knocking me out! I still cannot remember how it happened as I have done jobs like this many times before. All I remember is one minute I was cutting, the next I was laying on the ground with a big gash on my temple! I went to the hospital and ended up with a mild concussion, very scary though, I am VERY glad that chainsaws have safety cut-offs otherwise I would probably not be here writing this. Anyways there is one more limb, small(around 3"dia/ 8ft long) it is also cracked but still hanging at the top (probably 50-60ft up!) I have 200 ft of cable but I cannot think of a way to get it up there. The branches near the top are not strong enough to hold me. Any thoughts? i thought if there was a tool that shot the cable up there ,similar to the things you see in movies where they fire a little cable with a hook on the end and they swing away! I dont think this tool exists in the tree industry though! I told the client I probably could not get that limb and would take $50. off the bill, but I would like to get it for him.Thanks.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

The customer is the one who wanted it "ripped " off the tree, I told him it really needs to be cut off and he responded by saying he just wanted it down and it doesnt matter to him. By what I can see the limb was already ripped off by the wind , it is just caught up on some other branches or it is just hanging on by a thread. There is really no way to climb to it,because there is not many limbs near the top and the ones that are there are very thin and would not support a person. And I know he wont pay for a bucket truck to come in just for that small limb

10. Guest

Guest Guest

How about using a thompson mini-gun, 3000 rounds a minute! turn the limb into mulch before it reaches the ground!!