Question about rye grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lamonicaslawnservice, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Hey guys. Im in myrtle beach south carolina so I got atleast another month and a half of mowing before I stop for the winter. Some residential customers want me to cut all year long but I never did rye grass before so I have some questions. When should I put it down? Will it work with st augustine? Is lesco's rye seed good or someone else's? Is a drop spreader or broadcast spreader better for this? Does it grow as fast as regular grass? thanks guys

2. This might be a dumb question to all of you but i really dont know because I havent done this before so I really need help. Any help would be great.

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

rye grass should germinate within 7 days if watered in, but will only grow during the winter months here in the south. once the temperature gets up in the 90's it will die out. rye grass is used for over seeding in the winter months.

4. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

Now
    yes
    yes
    broadcast
    Now and in the spring it will grow extremely fast, but in ther true winter months it will not grow as fast as the st. augustine

5. so I have to put it down now? what if we get a day over 90 again. will it kill it?

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our area you have to strip that St Augustine down almost to the soil before you plant it if you want a perfect lawn. And obviously you have to water the heck out of it and if no sprinklers then it will die at 90F. It will need daily watering after you get it up. And the type of spreader doesn't matter just get it thick. WAter for 9 days straight three day a day.

7. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't sweat it. Ryegrass is the easiest thing to grow in the world. Just put it out heavy and water. I'm in the upper part of SC and around here some people scalp the grass and aerate before seeding and some don't and to tell you the truth, you can't tell the difference as soon as the seeds sprout. To keep it looking good all winter you can fertilize every 5-6 weeks, but make sure you stop the fert around early March so the St Aug can start to take over again.

8. The st augustine will take it over right? no surprises next season and i have to replace the whole lawn right? haha. im just making sure. Centipied shouldnt be a problem at all right? thanks

9. QLC-Texas

QLC-Texas LawnSite Member

Rye grass will grow easily anywhere. I once had about 3 sq ft. growing in the bed of my truck one winter after some seeds had spilled out of a torn bag.

10. when can I put it down? right now its 80 degrees in the afternoon and 62 degrees at night. I don't know if its going to get warmer again at night or in the day but when is a good time to start it?