1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

question about selling route

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason1978, Oct 5, 2005.

1. jason1978

jason1978 LawnSite Member

I'm selling my customers due to going into a different business. What do most of you use as a guide as how much to sell the route for?

2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Well I just bought a route. I bought a use 4 year old ferris 52" walk behind. A redmax blower 1/2 season old and 14 accounts. The accounts are all high end worth 15,260 if I cut 28 times next season. I DO NOT have contracts with these people, I would have paid more for the accounts if there were contracts ( or service agreements ). I have been working with the old lco this year for a smooth transition I figured in a 25% loose rate for customers ( that is on the high side I only expect to loose these customers if they move.) I paid $4100.00 for the equipment and the route. I hope this helps, I imagine that area your in could dictate what your business is worth also. Let me know what happens, maybe I paid to much lol.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

would a tighter route, be worth more $$$?

4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I would pay more for a tighter route, becuase it would be more profitable.

One rule of thumb I have heard for buying ANY business is 4 times yearly PROFIT (Net). This may be tricky as many lawn businesses do not know their TRUE overhead, and thus may not have a true profit figure.

Kevin