1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Question About Shell Rimula Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Nosmo, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

On my hydro tank there is a sticker which reads use only
    Shell Rimula 15-40 Oil. In the manual it reads basically the same but also adds or equal .

I am thinking about using Castrol 15-40 GTX Diesel. It has more API Service ratings than the Shell Rimula. Is there anyone who is using this oil in the hydros ?

Nosmo

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you mean Rotella?
    Your Castrol 15/40 will work just as good.

3. Nosmo

Yes it is Rimula 15-40 (Diesel) . Thanks for the reply.

Walmart , K Mart and Tractor Supply carry the Rotella but not the Rimula. Gonna try the Castrol 15-40 for Diesel.

Nosmo

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

5. Nosmo

The Castrol GTX Diesel 15-40 has these API Service ratings which seems to be more than the Rimula X 15-40.

C1-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL, SJ

I believe it will be OK to use this one. Any more input is certainly welcome.

Nosmo

6. IA_James

from Iowa

I would go ahead and use the CI-4+, Pennzoil Long Life, Rotella, or Chevron Delo 400. I run Delo in my Dodge in the summer time, and either Mobile 1 5w40 syn or Rotella 5w40 syn in the winter time.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

We looked around for the Rimula. None of the auto parts stores we deal with seem to be able to get it.

I know thats what the Lesco and Cub Cadet hydro machines are supposed to use but good luck actually finding it.

8. IA_James

from Iowa

The Rimula page I linked to was actually for India I think, I'm pretty sure it's an overseas-only product.

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Which makes no sense because it specifically calls for that oil in the hydro system on the Lesco Z-Two and Cub Cadet Tanks...LOL

10. Nosmo

I saw it (Rimula 15W40) on my dealer's shelf. I did ask if he recommended 20W50 or 15W40 and was told we use the 15W40 here. The older manuals for Cub/Lesco state 20W50 but do not mention a brand name.

I am still researching the Rimula/Rotella products. The Rimula specs do state for use in hydraulics.

I have decided to not use the Castrol GTX 15W40 Diesel as it does not have the CI-4 Plus rating.

Nosmo