1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question About Sizing Lawns For Pricing Purposes

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liberty Lawnworks, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Liberty Lawnworks

Liberty Lawnworks LawnSite Member

Here is my pricing schedule for this season:

Under 15,000 sq. ft.: $37
    More than 15,000 sq. ft. up to and including 1/2 acre: $44
    More than 1/2 acre up to and including 3/4 acre: $51
    More than 3/4 acre up to and including 1 acre: $58
    More than 1 acre: Varies
    Bagging: Add 15% for collection and disposal costs

I am a one-man solo intending to keep a very tight route (suburban Columbus).

My question:

For those who price their lawns based mostly on area (of course allowing for differentials for fences, pools, etc.), do you go off the entire square footage of the property, or off a rough estimate of the actual turf area?
  2. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED LawnSite Member

Looks about right.
  3. mclarke

mclarke LawnSite Member

I seen a few companies around here price by gross footage (since they have to trim around the house, trees, etc). I calculated some of their costs as starting at .004 per square foot. Prices I came up with are:
    $20.00 5,000 sq ft or less
    $35.00 10,000 sq ft or less
    $50.00 15,000 sq ft or less
    Call for quote 15,000 sq ft or more
    Again, these are just some of the prices I have seen from companies around my area. I would suggest pricing to actually be a business but also low enough that you are not losing money. Pricing is kind of a process. Every town/state may be a little difference. It also depends on how many other companies are around, the property time (hoa, res, commercial, et) and what equipment you have. Using a push mower on a 1/2 acre will take way longer than using a zero turn for example.
  4. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I give quotes based on how long I think it will take. I can service 1 acre of open area faster than 4000 square feet with dozens of trees and crap all over to edge and mow around. Those prices may work as a general guideline, but I wouldn't guarantee them.
  5. Slimreynolds

Slimreynolds LawnSite Member

I agree, I quote a property based on size, complexity, and time I think it will take me. You can't always go by just size because, like Cedar said, sometimes I can do an acre thats open and free of obstacles faster than I can do a 1/4 acres filled with gardens, trees, dog toys, hoses, gates, etc.

I actually had to ask a customer to please remove all the junk they left on the grass the day I mow or I would have to charge them more to remove the crap before I mowed. Some people are just lazy or stupid I guess.