1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about something Lesco Rep told me

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sniggly, May 4, 2005.

1. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Monday I went to the Lesco store to pick up some 24-2-11 w/Talstar. The rep said, "I am not selling that this year, I only have the 18-0-18".

Well I really didn't like that because the 18-0-018 was only .30 cents less per bag. The rep said, "Look - I am selling the 18-0-18 this year because you get more Talstar in the bag."

I said, "Both bags are labeled .069% AI...so how are you getting more Talstar per bag?" The rep tried to explain by saying the 18-0-18 was good for 9000ksqft and the 24-2-11 (both with Talstar) was good for 12.5ksqft, therefore you get more active ingredient because they are both labeled for .069% AI.

Sooo.....I tried to explain that they are both 50lb bags, which means if I spread either of the bags at 4lbs per 1K I am going to get 12ksqft out of either bag. I am paying only .30 cents less for significantly less N and a little less Fe. I didn't really go into my thoughts on the amount of Talstar per bag because I didn't have time to argue.

I am interested in hearing what your thoughts on this are. I am tempted to make some phone calls at this point but want to bounce this off other ears before I do.

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

I think the bs explanation he was giving eluded to when you are putting down the same amt. of N per 1000 using the 18, you are inadvertently applying more lb's of the Talstar per 1000.... Works out great for them - you have to buy more bags @ only .30 less each. I was told by my local Lesco guy that they stopped making 24 all together. He suggested using 32 because I just use the straight fert..
  3. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Well - he is right -- but fundamentally wrong.

The rate of application ona combination product like this si dependant on the control product -- not the nitrogen. The label stated the correct amount to apply in varying condition to control varying pests

The 18-0-18 is a beter product from an agronomic standpoint. You will be applying this product at at time when your grass needs the bwenefits of the potash -- now I'm sure -- coming from Lesco that the potash is MOP -- so I wouldn't buy i t-- but the 18-0-18 will reuslt in better grass than the 24-2-11.
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Order everything through Lesco direct...www.lesco.com for details...
  5. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Find another supplier...Lezco is full of BS and over priced !!! :cool2:
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Here in MN you're not supposed to use Potassium anymore. All fertilizers are SUPPOSED to be "X-zero-X". Probably Lesco trying to mainstream their instore product to be a general usage.

I know as far as Dimension, the only product my service center carries in stock is 19-0-6, .10%.

I can order anything else, but they don't stock it.

I would assume that with Potassium regulations becoming the norm, ie trying to keep algae / weed growth down in the lakes from run-off, that more and more states are creating restrictions, therefore suppliers will slowly start to faze out these products with Potassium?? As far as a stockable product??
  7. fertit

fertit LawnSite Member
    from 97034

I beleive you're referring to phosphorous, the middle letter in N-P-K fertilizer ratios. N-0-K ferts will be the rage.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, you are correct, my bad.