1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about speed and cut

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MSgardener, Jul 18, 2003.

1. MSgardener

MSgardener LawnSite Member
    from 9A

I just demo'd a competitor's ztr which I found to be satisfactory. The one thing I keep hearing about your machine is the speed of the cutting, i.e. your machines cut grass "very" fast. My question is if all things are equal such as hp, width of cutting deck and number of blades doing the cutting, what exactly should I look for that makes your brand of ztr superior in cutting at a fast speed?
    Speed is very important to me but we all have to go slow enough to get a quality cut and I have an old Toro Groundsmaster which can get bogged down. I should say that I cut 3 and 1/2 acres of St Aug grassland in southern MS every 7 to 10 days. Due to the frequent rain and sun, it grows thick and fast. I don't know if I'm stating my question clearly enough. I intend to demo your brand so maybe I'll find out but what exactly is it that allows your machine to do the same job but faster? Thanks.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

To answer your question, the deck design coupled with the BTS (blade tip speed) of over 18,300 feet per minute.
    There are several factors that also come into play here, as with any mower, grass height, grass type, moisture content, and the type of cutting (ie: mulching, bagging or just plain old side discharging) any of these factors in any combination may or may not allow you to mow at higher speeds, this goes for any mower on the market not just the Hustler product.
    You need to demo the Super Z and see the difference yourself.
    The Super Z will cut faster than the competition, and with a awesome cut quality.
    Let us know how your demo goes.