Question about Spiking

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lucky's Lawncare, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Lucky's Lawncare

Lucky's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Hello all I am new to the site and new to the business. I can't even begin to say how much this site has helped me. Thank you to all of you willing to give such great advice!!

I got a phone call from a customer that was requesting me to spike his lawn. I assumed he meant aerating, but he really meant spiking. He was concerned about weeds spreading when aerated which of course I agreed with.

Is anyone familiar with this? Doesnt sound to difficult to me, but any advise would be much appreciated.

2. Lucky's Lawncare

Maybe this is a common practice that I am not aware of. If this is a rediculous question I appologize, but I honestly am not aware of this.

3. Lucky's Lawncare

Anyone? I think this may be something done on golf courses? This is a bigger account and I have to call him back ASAP. I have asked everyone I know and no one knows much about it. I really hate to lose this account he has rentals also.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

5. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Conventional wisdom is that spiking doesnt help much to loosen compacted soil or enhance intake of water, air, or nutrients - all of these things take place with core aeration and the benefit far outweighs any threat of weed invasion. There is a process of chemical aeration , but I don't know anything about it . Maybe the guys in the pesticide application section know something about it. I am totally committed to core aeration.

6. Lucky's Lawncare

Thank you, I spoke with him yesterday and told him that I didnt see much benefit in spiking because it would just compact the soil worse. He said he will think about aerating in the future. Thanks again!!