Question about standers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LedgedaleLawn, Feb 12, 2008.

1. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Are standers good on hills. 80% of our clients have sand mounds and hills are a big problem for us. We currently use eXmark walk behinds. But I was wondering about standers.

2. LedgedaleLawn

Anyone ???

3. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I am no expert on standers but I can tell you that standers generally are not as good on hills as walkbehinds. For me I can mow all of my yards with slopes with my great dane surfer, while the slopes I mow are pretty steep only 20% of the yards I mow have a steep slope then again I do live in kansas. My surfer does great on the flat and going straight up slopes but I cant back up a slope or make a turn on a slope to save my life with that mower. Maybe the Wrights are different. If as you say 80% of your yards have slopes and slopes are a problem then I personally would stick with large walkbehinds. This is just my 2 cents hopefully others will have some input.

4. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" fixed deck Wright Stander and a 36" Honda walkbehind. The Wrights (especially the fixed decks) have a better weight balance than the competition--that is why they need the anti-tip wheels behind the operator.
    Once you learn how to shift your weight to optimize the Stander's handling, you can mow fairly steep hills--but not as steep of hills as a walk behind. The Wright has about as good of traction as the walkbehind, but you need to have your feet planted on the turf and your arms pushing the handle to keep the mower in line when it slips on a really steep hill. An extra 50 lbs. of force on the handle of a 500 lbs mower is enough to prevent a disaster.
    As a rule, I will not mow across a hill with the Wright if I notice that the rear wheels of my walk behind tend to slip or if I need to lean on the handle of the walkbehind. This is typically about a 35% dry slope, depending on the quality of the grass. If I am careful and turn up the hill, I can do a z-turn on such a slope. The walkbehind can safely mow across a 45% slope. I am also hesitant to mow with the Stander where there is a building, fence, car, etc. at the bottom of a slope.
    However, because of the Stander's speed, you can mow up very steep and very concave slopes if the slopes are not too long, if you carefully decelerate as you go up the slope to keep from popping a wheelie. I regularly mow 50% plus terraces up to 8-10 ft elevation change with the Wright by taking a running start at the bottom decelerating towards the top. I have also transported (not mowed) up a 4' terrace so steep a 21" slides down across it to get into a back yard. You need a flat area at the top and bottom of the slope, however, and it can be dangerous if you run out of hill before you run out of momentum! You can mow steep hills without a flat place at the top by making a "hammer head" turn on the hill, like a stunt airplane (remember: you have to coast on the hills--you have very little traction and cannot stop at all or turn very well). Just pretend you have a riding a skateboard or snowboard on a half pike--only a 600-800 pound board. . .
    Similarly, start slow at the top of a steep hill and accelerate as you go down to keep from sliding.
    More safely, you can mow up a 45% hill by attacking it at an angle with the Wright, about 30 to 45 degrees across the slope. This puts more weight on the drive tires, and you can lean further forward by leaning next to the upright handle. You still need a flat place at the top and bottom.
    Disclaimer: Don't try any of this at home. You could hurt yourself! :dizzy:

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We decided to change to the Wright Stander line because of there ability to hold the hills better than the ZTR, and the SS line. We mow a lot of properties that have scary slopes and have yet to lose it on the Standers. True alot of people here will bash them but you have to decide what works best for YOU! They are our best compromise for a ride-on mower.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

by far the wrights have outstanding hill hugging ability, i mow crazy stuf with mine and turn and back up and all. everything has to do the the center of gravity you create by leaning into the hill. very odd to get used to but trust me, you will absolutly never walk again after mastering a stander!!!!!!!!! i wish i had a pic to show you the crazy hills i do withthis thing:dancing:

7. LedgedaleLawn

A picture would be great!

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

ill see if i can get a pic, even though it wont be green right now , maybe even leftover snow since it is shaded a bit.

9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

can you step off the platform on a really steep slope? i know with my walk behind if i stay on the sulky on a steep slope it gets tough to keep it in line.

10. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

You cannot step off the platform while mowing. They have an operator presence safety switch. I have never encountered a situation where I felt the need to jump off the mower. It is far more stable than a typical walk-behind. The 52" has a wide wheel base that adds to the stability.