Question About Starting Out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by edgeman2003, Apr 6, 2008.

1. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

When you guy first started out, were you legit? Cause I will be doing it part time, small yards to start. It seem the young teens are mowing the yards, I know there not paying taxes. I will be just using a push mower to start. it seems like a lot that I have to pay out just to use a push mower. taxes,insurance, advertisement and equipment. Next year, I want to be full commercial taxes and all the good stuff that I hate. what do you guys think?

2. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan on going legit next year anyway.....what stopping you from just starting out right using your push mower.....

3. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

I guess your right, thats the same thing my wife was telling me.:)

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your working another job and already paying taxes and just want to make some extra money I wouldn't worry about being legit. Keep in mind though if your mower throws a rock and it hits someone or breaks a window or worse you could be in a lot of trouble. When you decide to quit your other job and get into this full time then you will need to register,pay tax, insurance and so on.

5. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

No need to be legit doing small residentials part time. however, u r responsible for any damages that could happen. just be extra careful