1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about striping

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Gaturf, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

Ive heard that an Exmark can stripe a lawn with out a striping kit? Is this True, I think i read it on this site. There was something about lowering the pitch by 1/4"? can anyone tell me if this is true and if so how do i set my mower up to do it.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Gaturf,
    You are correct that you should be able to make the eXmark deck stripe, even without the addition of a striping roller, however the striping roller takes all of the 'work' out of it, and will typically give you a much deeper, longer lasting stripe.

First, depending on the size of your deck, you've got to have the appropriate rake. Rake is measured off of the blades; positive rake is when the front blade tip is lower than the rear blade tip. The following are good starting positive rakes.

72: 1/4"+
    60: 1/4"
    52" 3/16"
    48" 1/8"
    44" 1/8"-

You'll also want to run the standard blades (Notched-High lift), for typically the best results.

Some other things to consider are the turf itself. Southern grasses don't typically stripe well. Northern grasses will usually stripe well if the turf is healthy and properly fertilized. If you don't have a healthy well fertilized turf, it may not even stripe with a roller, or at least won't hold the stripe very long.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

3. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

thanks for the tip! Its sounds like more trouble than its worth. Maybe ill just buy a kit. thanks for your help.