1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about towing capacity - F250 4.9. 6cyl

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by OKSooner, Jan 10, 2010.

1. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

This is the deal... I've been working with a 1993 F250 with the 4.9l 6cyl, towing a 5x10 trailer that weighs (let's say) 1500 pounds.

I'm looking at some new equipment that's eventually gonna require me to upgrade the trailer, to probably a 6'4" x 14' which will have a total weight of (let's say) 3000-3500 pounds.

For those who are familiar with the Ford 4.9l, I don't need to tell you that it's a torque machine, but it's slow. Another thing I expect to be a problem is the clutch, which I had replaced with a parts store replacement package. I've since found a heavy-duty unit that I can get if I need it, but of course that's gonna cost over $1000 installed. Also does it have the cooling capacity to pull this kind of load, and run the AC and stuff here in Oklahoma.

I'd like a new truck but I don't want to spend the money for a new truck, not just yet anyway.

Anybody have experience or opinions that might help?
  2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Well, if it really is a 250, then it should be able to tow the extra weight without damaging itself. It probably will be really slow with that engine, though.
  3. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

I love that motor. :rolleyes: