Question About Trimec Plus

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I just made my way down to Indy area to pick up some of the good chemicals. I have been reading the labels and I noticed that on the Trimec Plus (controls broadleaf & grassy) that it is very specific about the air temperature. If I apply early in the morning or late evening when it is only around 75 degress or so and it warms up to 90 degrees the same day, will I be alright?

Also, to control crabgrass in cool season turf do you typically apply at the high side of the listed rates? Do you guys usually have to make the recomended second application 14-21 days later? How do you charge for this?

Any tips for applying this product would be welcome, I'm new. I also picked up some Speed Zone broadleaf killer and the rest of the fert. I will ned for the rest of the year unless I pick up to many more accounts.

Thanks...:)

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We used T+ in the past. It was not an easy product to keep in suspension, in fact we would pre mix it in a small container then add it to the spot sprayers. It's a good product, however, it's a hot hot mix, if you app it in high heat you will melt down everything! I prefer drive for crabgrass.

3. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

We use Drive also. No worries with temps. Dont have any experience with TrimecPlus though. Good Luck. What pre emergent did you use this spring? I have a little breakthrough along some edges but thats it. Seems the crabgrass really started showing up in the last couple of weeks after that big rain. I got a free sample of Q4 Im gonna try.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Very little crabgrass & nutsedge here in SE massachusetts, i hope it stays that way.

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimec Plus is old science cool season turf frying MSMA. I used their new product Q4 last year with excellent results and zero turf burn. Q4 cleans up yellow nutsedge too.

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have 3 gallons of this stuff to treat this lawn, but now I am worried. The lawn is in terrible shape. I just picked it up and there was no pre-em. put down in the spring from the looks of things.

So I guess it is not the temp. that you put it down, but the temp. that it will reach throughout the day?

7. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Yea we have high air temps in my area from the start of spring until the start of winter. My basic rule about 2-4-D is that I don't spray it from April 1st until at least mid october here. lol usually for me from the last frost in the spring until the first frost in the winter it is a safe bet that the temps will be over 85 degrees.

If the air gets hot that stuff can volatolize and burn your grass in a heartbeat. I'd go with something a little safer that you don't have to worry about air temps in the hot summer heat.

Also, might get some more suggestions from guys in your area if you put the type of grass that your wanting to treat.