1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

question about trimming privet hedge

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Royalslover, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I have a huge privet hedge at my house. It's about 60' long and as tall as 12 'We like it for the privacy it affords from the street but it is just getting out of hand. Most of the greenery is higher: you can see through it at the bottom. What would be the best way to trim this? We would like it to be thicker at the bottom but not as tall. Any suggestions?
  2. TerraJeeps

TerraJeeps LawnSite Member

Trim the top narrower than that of which you want your bottom . The top is stealing the light from the bottom branches and thinning it out. Topping it should give you some new growth down low too. I would wait till lat winter early spring to do anything drastic though.
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Terrajeeps is correct for on going maintenance.

What you need to do is what is called "restorative pruning" with a pair of loppers you need to cut the old growth out of the hedge. pm me for instructions on how to do this to a privte or google the term "restorative privet pruning"

hedge clippers is not the tool for this job and just narrowing the top will not correct the issue. once the issue is corrected ongoing top tapering like terrajeep said will maintain the hedge you need to get to that point first for it to be effective
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with eshskis on this one.