Question about Tru-Green and those kind of guys..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by khutch, Aug 7, 2004.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed this w/my customers who have Tru-Green and the like. There is always weeds in beds, etc. Do these guys never use Round-Up? Also, a lot of the time there seems to be no treatment for existing turf weeds. Is everything they do Pre-Em treatments?

2. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Trugreen uses trypower for turf weeds trypower is crap. I worked for true green we always called it try again. Unless the customer pays extra they do not take care of garden beds. Tru green is a slave drivin crappy corporation. The branch I worked at had alot of good guys who cared and wanted to do a good job. The co did not care so one by one we all quit. They are about to close the branch down now. The branch went through 3 branch managers while I was thare (4 years) then one more after I quit. All the guys who quit are either running a succusfull biz on thier own or are manageing crews somewhare else.

3. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I still don't get why some of my customers stay with 'em....

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just think customers stay with them because of the name recognition

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I don't normally do the weeds in flower beds either. My contract states " spray liquid broadleaf killer in turf areas". Anything in flowerbeds would be an extra and charged differently.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have gotten where i won't take a yard treated (loose term) by TGCL or Herbi-Systems. i could cut them every 4 days and it'd still be a pain.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Mike,
    At least your TRCL is actually spraying some fert. Most of my clients get the colored water sprayed on their yard every 6 weeks.

I don't bash the other guy to them, but I do ask questions like when you fertilized yourself didn't you notice a green up within 2 weeks.

Some of them are starting to think. And I should be getting my liscense in a month.

8. Green&Growing

Green&Growing LawnSite Member

I worked for TruGreen for a year as a salesman. The Tech's used to joke about how they "Ghosted" lawns....just parked the truck out front for a few minutes, then put the flag in the yard and left. The other thing I cought them doing....they would pick up the trucks in the morning and fill up the tank. then they go over to one of the guys houses and add water. They got a bonus for using less chemical!

9. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes thats the problem the TGCL I worked for is having. Once all the good techs quit new techs who ghost and do a lowsey job are what they got. The sales guys were the main problem they sold $120 jobs for$35! Techs make decent pay if they go over thier high goals. When sales cuts prices like that techs get P.O. ed and ghost. If you need to do $950 a day before getting any commission and the prices are like that. Well thats why people have TGCL it's CHEEP.
    People who want quality fire TGCL and go to a small LCO.
    TGCL is the worst lawn co out thare!!!!