Question about using my Magna-Matic

Discussion in 'Magna-Matic' started by DLAWNS, Nov 25, 2010.

1. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys...first I wanted to say I love my Magna-Matic! It has saved me so much money and time already and has given me better sharpened and balanced blade.

I have a couple questions about my sharpening technique though. Sometimes when I'm sharpening my blades the end of the blade will still be kind of dull and a little thicker than the rest of the sharpened blade if that makes sense. Am I pulling the blade away from the grinding wheel too fast or is there another explanation for this? Other times when I am really having to work on a really beat up blade, after a while it tends to leave a rough finish on the sharpened edge...I'm not sure why. I'm sure these are problems with my technique as these problems only happen sometimes. Also how do I know where to start sharpening? I feel like the length of the sharp edges of my blades is getting closer to the center of the blade. And how do I know when a blade is just too used up to sharpen anymore? My last question is how do I know when it is time to change the grinding wheel?

I will be needing to order a new box of wheels and possibly a new work table as I think I might have put the wheel a little too close a few times and worn mine down quite a bit. Do I order this stuff on the website? Sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions. These are just all things I have been meaning to ask about all season just kept forgetting. Finally thought to finally post it today. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

hey dlawns, nice thread as we just picked up a magna matic at GIE and are selling our old wall rbg.

i am curious in whatever this turns up as i have not even unpacked it yet . we do sharpen alot of blades though and i look forward to much less mess and i breath way too much metal dust as it is now.

we got the rolling stand and such, all the goodies

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Dude, you won't be sorry. It is an awesome machine. I'm jealous...I didn't know there was a stand that rolled, lol. I have the stand but mine is stationary. I just pull it a foot or two away from the wall when I use it.

4. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Use a dust mask to reduce the metal dust in the lungs. Even with the shop vac going.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I should really start doing this huh? lol

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I would think it would reduce issues later in life. I got a box of 50 by the sharpner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know, I'm usually so cautious about stuff but I never really thought about that. I actually have a box at the shop and will definitely start using them. Thanks...

8. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Bill, approximately how many blades do you sharpen at a time and how often? You sharpen daily or weekly?

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

It really depends, I have a few sets for each mower so sometimes I will just keep changing them until I run out. I probably have approximately 25 blades so sometimes I will do every one of them at once and sometimes I sharpen as I go to keep up on it. I don't sharpen daily. Usually once a week depending on conditions. In the spring when the grass is really thick or a lot of wet thick grass conditions I will sharpen twice in a week.

10. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

I kinda figures. I have to get a few more accounts next year to justify a magna-matic. I'm sure it makes life ALOT easier!