question about walk behinds (serious replies only)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, Sep 2, 2005.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing two commercial walks for next season.. 32 or 36 inchers. i have run 21's for the past 4 seasons and am starting to get sick of them. i do have a 48/20 commercial zth for my larger stuff.

my questions

-i recently took off the mulch kit off my zth and am currently side discharging, i find that i am continuously double cutting and leaving a few clumps in moist and recently fertilized grass. Do i need a bagger or mulch kit for the walk behind or will it be disbursing the clippings better than my zth???

- is there a general "rule of thumb" as to what size of lawn you should be using a 32 or 36 rather than a 21??

-do the majority of you guys just side discharge or are you bagging or mulching???

thank-you,, also please give suggestions on a good walk behind in the 2500-3000 dollar range..
  2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Scott, I discharge most everything that I cut. I've never used a mulch kit so I'm not going to tell you to use one. I do bag on rare occasions but, like I said before I discharge most everything. As far as mower size it really depends on YOUR gate sizes. If the majority of your gates are 36" to 36.5" even 37" then a 36" will fit your needs. On the flip side of things if your gates are less that 36" then a 32" is the way to go.

No as far as what mower I run an eXmark but,the mower I run may not be the mower that YOU are looking for. My best advise is see if you can get some demo time on whatever brands you have around.

Good luck and I hope I have helped you some

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The thirty sixes we use disburse the clippings evenly and cut very well ,side dischargeing.I can't say if they do better then your z,because i have no idea how well or not it cuts.

I cant speak for anyone else,but we side discharge .

I would highly recommend,the exmark metro,very good mower.

We put 36's on 1500 to about 5000 sq feet of turf,and fenced back lawns.
  4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I side discharge with my JD GS30 - 36/13. I don't have any issues at all dry or wet. Leaves a great sharp clean cut. Never had to double cut due to excessive clippings.

I use the 36 on 1/4 acre lots. I have no clients with fences.
  6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is an example of the Exmark cut.
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

That is what i have, it is a great mower. I have found the 15hp to the 48" deck plenty of power for me so a 15hp kohler on a 36 will be great. Oh, i always use the mulch kit. It allowes me to get close to objects on both sides and it doesn't shoot grass into beds. Around me, a 36" metro with the 15hp kohler is $2699 with ECS (which is awsome by the way). Good Luck with the mower,
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Good advise Rob,
    Know one knows the operation of another lco so its hard to make recommendations
  9. slugo

slugo LawnSite Member
    from 33702

I ran 21s for a couple of years then purchased a used 32 it cut my time by 15% I just purchased a new 36 hydro walk behind with a sulky it has saved me properly around 30% of time compared to 21s I found the sulky a little strange but after a day or two I was very comfortable I was even surprised to find out that I can use it in lush thick lawns without tracking
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

side discharge. for $2500-$3,000, you can buy a 32" and a 36", wheels for both, and have a little pony money left over