1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about Walkers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Jan 21, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I am still trying to decide on which mower to get for some bigger commercial jobs. I was just thinking if I got another walker with a 48" GHS deck could I just open the catcher and let the grass go out the back instead of getting a Side Discharge deck. That way I could use the new machine on some of my Res. customers that want to be bagged. Would this work?
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

That is what I do. I have a Walker as my main mower but if the grass is real long or wet I use my Toro Proline walkbehind. I am not doing huge commercials but a mix of res. and commercial. The no-catch bagger Walker sells for about 70.00 US works well. If I had alot of big commercial (2+ acres) I would consider a Chopper.
    The Walker is quick with a speed up kit but not close to a chopper or lazer. I can cut about 8mph with my 26efi if the blades are sharp. Good Luck.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a walker, got a lazer, but what is a speed up kit for the walkers everyone talks about ?
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you, oh wise grasshoppa, answered my question.Or maybe I should say, oh wise grasschoppa!
  6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes I notice that the grass still clumps when flying out the back of the hopper. I saw another lmo put a piece of pvc (elbow) under the hopper (the hopper rests on it) and over the place where the grass blows up the chute. I bought a peice of stovepipe (elbow), it fits over the lip of the chute perfectly and it turns the mower into side discharge. The grass has more speed coming from the blower and seems to spread better. You can also angle the pipe to aim down or up.

The OBVIOUS risk. The grass is shooting out the side from about 3 feet up. You must use common sense! I would only use this in wide open areas so as to keep from causing any damage to windows...or people!
  7. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

i dont have either, but the scag couger is able to pickup grass, or side discharge or mulch,wouldnt this save tons of time ,you dont have to change decks,and it will save money on not buying seperate desks.and how fast can you go without messing up the cut of the grass?
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have the flaps for the back of the Walker bin and they do clump too much in my opinion. I have also tried a deflector hooked right onto the blower tube, it worked okay but when the wind was the wrong way you constantly get a mouthful of grass. What I do now is unplug the wire running to the discharge chute when it is pointing to the far side then I cut the lawn then double cut where the " windrow" is. By this time the sun has dried the grass and it chops up fine and disappears. For most of my properties I can dump on site so usually I just use the bin for collection. I really think that the blades don't turn fast enough to cut the grass fine enough to discharge it without clumping look. And of course double blades aren't an option on the GHS model.
  9. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Hey cantoo. Could you tell me what a 48" GHS 26EFI costs at your dealer off the top of your head??
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry pcs, I heaven't priced any of the new ones this year. I'm afraid to ask prices, I might just talk myself into a new one. I already have more equipment than I can use so I don't need another one. Except for a Steiner and maybe a Dixie. Going to London to look at a cube van on Thursday,,, more money.