Question about weight for plowing?

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Kraco_1, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me if it's better to have weight over the rear wheels or behind the rear wheels? And how much is enough? I'm knew to the forum here so I hope it's not a stupid question, I'm also knew to plowing. Thank's...Kraco_1
  2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I would think over the wheels.
    On how much depends on what size vehicle you have.Anywhere from 2000lbs.or more
    Just my 2 cents....
  3. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Ok thanks Mike, and btw it's a 2001 Chev. 2500 ex cab. I was thinking of useing about 6 cinder blocks but I guess I better get some more if I need that much weight. Thanks again for the help. Kraco1
  4. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I think with that wheelbase,you would need a little more weight than the blocks.Maybe someone is running that same application you are.Good Luck
  5. sly

sly LawnSite Member

6. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the help on this and i'll re-think what I'll use for weight. Maybe a few of you guys could tell me what you use for weight? Thanks....Kraco_1
  7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Well it varies around here. Most run a spreader of some sort with material in it, or the bed of the truck. So that pretty much takes care of the weight issue. I have a sub that runs just a truck, we weight him with a bucket of snow during the storm, and that does him fine.
    If that doesnt work, try befriending a person or business with a fork lift, and have them load a 1/2 skid of your choice in the back, and when done, just return the material. Use blocks or bricks or something along those lines. Or use bagged salt on a skid, that way when you need it, its already there.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The farther beyond the rear wheels the less weight you will need.

Watch out with cinder blocks they can put a healthy divot in the back of the cab when they come loose. Fill some burlap sacks with sand instead.
  9. Plowboy

Plowboy LawnSite Member

my method was hardly scietific, I just kept adding salt behind the rear wheels, untill my truck was at the same ride level with the plow on as it is when empty. THe less weight you can carry and still get the job done is the correct amount of weight, less #'s in truck = less wear and tear on everything. My truck f250 reg cab takes about 1000# to balance everything out. some guys I know don't carry any and others carry 2k+ in the bed

just my thoughts
  10. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Ok thanks guys for all the good tips, sand bags sound like a pretty good idea so I guess I'll try that. I got an old army air mattress, I thought about filling with water but not so full that when it froze it would break. But then I thought if I needed to get rid of it before spring I'd be in trouble. lol.... Well anyway, thanks again....Kraco_1