question about wet conditions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 26, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I have quit a few lawns that are treated on a regular basis but this year has been very wet at times and we were forced to let one day go for a week. But the question I have... is it normal for a 14hp 48" Toro w/b to clog on EVERY pass? It took us 4.5 hours to mow 5 lawns yesterday. I have never been on a rider and I was wondering if (with a bagger) they would be able to cut through this wet thick stuff without making 2 -3 passes down the same row or would they become just as clogged as my w/b's do.

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I can tell you from experience bagging wet grass is something else. Trying to bag wet grass is almost impossible to shoot up the tube at times. Another thing wet grass is hard on is your blade bearings when you try to bag it.

I have tried to bag grass with an 18 HP garden tractor and it wouldn't shoot it up the tube. I have a 54" - 23 HP ZTR and I would bet it would clog up too if I tried bagging wet grass.

Nosmo

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Cut it high if it is wet,bottom line with thick wet grass or double and triple cut to make it look good,sharp blades are a must.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

A friend here bags every account he has, I see him out in the rain now and then with his exmark and it looks good and he single cuts it. He's got a 60" 27hp.

5. How much were you cutting off?

6. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

If you have a blower type bagger - you can bag just about anything. I've cut 6" down to 3" (wet) not having to double cut and the bagger doesn't even hiccup. Scag Tiger Cub 20hp Kohler 48 advantage deck.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I just make sure I cut much higher. Also, make sure that you are charging for bagging & not just doing it for free because it may need it this time. Also, make sure your customers are aware of the additional cost that they may incur. I usually do this by writing on an invoice ...

Mrs Smith, After this last weeks mowing, I was wondering if you would like us to start bagging when the grass & leaves get a little out of hand. If so, please give me a call or drop me an email so that we may begin next time it is needed. The rate is based on your regular mowing rate plus $5 per load picked up. Thank you!

Jory...
    LCO

That way, not only are you asking their permission, they see that you are wanting to make their lawn look its best, plus you will have it in writing should you have any issues.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Also, I may even have them call me a day in advance if bagging is needed. I don't always carry that mower w/ me so if I don't have it that day, they don't get bagged regardless of how tall it is. If they are a true PITA I just walk over it w/ the b/p blower to spread the windrows out a bit.