Question about What Mower to get?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Smith Lawn & Landscaping, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Looking to upgrade my push mower and was wondering if yall could help out a bit. I currently have a toro super recycler from Home Depot. Its a ok mower but definitely looking to upgrade. I talked to my local toro dealer and he suggested the toro pro-line. I was wondering if yall have any ideas thanks...

2. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

depending how much your looking to spend i would either get a good exmark 36" walk behind (to fit through gates) or i would look into the new great dane 34 or 36" standers. they are very nice mowers. but look at your options. loose a ton of nights of sleep and then come to the conclusion on what you find is the best mower. Took me a while to find my fave (exmard navigator) but i dont have the funds to buy it. lol

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

exmark 36" Sounds like a good idea.:waving:

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro proline is the commercial 21". Im sure your dealer told you that. If that is all the mower you need for your upgrade, (basically going from residential mower to commercial mower) then that should more then meet your needs. They run about 1199.99, prices vary around the country. If you need larger then 21" commercial mower, let us know.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure your Toro is a Recycler 22 if you bought it at Lowes. Last I heard, the Super Recyler 21 was available from Toro Dealers only...or a mail-order online dealer.

Check out the Commercial Toro PT21...

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

The Home Depot Toro Recycler steel deck is probably one of the better consumer grade mowers out there. I really prefer the Toro "Super Recycler" aluminum deck personal pace mowers. Toro has a Kawi 6hp Personnel pace 21" commercial this year in their line up. http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/index.html the PT21 unit and just get the bag as an extra. If I didn't already have an older Toro Super Recycler I'd probably go that route myself for a 21".

Many here love their Toro commercial 3 speed left foot operated Toros. My old pro-summer Toro "Super Recycler" in my avatar pic is configured much like the current commercial unit but has the 3 speed selector operated by your left hand vs. your left foot. I believe the Examrk 21 mower commercial unit has a left hand shifter like the my old Toro has. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the Exmark 21".

I just bought a Areins hi-vac bagger 21"with a Kaw 6hp engine that is a well built mower. Basically a higher end consumer unit but not quite commercial. This will probably be my only questionable mower purchase this year. I may end up regretting dumping $ into this mower. I want a hi vac mower to get into gated yards. Sometimes bagging is just easier and quicker than mulching on small areas.

Not trying to muddy the waters but the personnel pace system is the quickest and easiest to use in a 21". As of yet I have not heard of a personnel pace drive system failure on the aluminum deck 21's. I've heard of it on the steel deck units. If someone has had a Personnel Pace system go bad on a "Aluminum" deck Toro I'd like to hear what happened and how it broke and how it was fixed.

Also depends on your business model, how much you bag vs. mulch, gate widths you contend with etc.

Getting a 36" walk behind also stepped things up . . . but if it won't fit through your gates then just get a wider 40+ cutting swath.

There are no easy answers just more options. :laugh:

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

By upgrade you probably mean size. Go with a 36" commercial WB mower.

8. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe i didn't ask the question right. Im just looking to upgrade my push mower not by size i already have that taken care of. I got a 42 inch encore z mower, (2) 32 inch encore walk-behinds im just asking for a better opinion on push mowers. Sorry if i confused yall. Maybe that will help?

9. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

If i were you for your money and your kind of use. I would deffinatly go with a quickie 32 or even a quick 36. Thats the best bang for your buck PROMISE! you will not be disapointed.

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is still running good then there is no need to upgrade.