1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

question about winterising a Permagreen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FERT-TEK, Dec 4, 2005.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I should mention that I am from the Chicago area and In the past was able to keep my PG in an attached garage that didn't get below freezing in the winter. This year I may need to keep mine outside in the shed and am concerned about the temperatures. Will running RV antifreeze through the pump and spray tips protect it enough.
    What have you guys in the colder climates done to winterize your PG?
  2. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

That is what I did to be safe drain it, run rv antifreeze thru all lines including the drain line, it works on rvs and they use the same sure flo pump, better to be safe than sorry. just my 2 cents, I also do this with back pack sprayers
  3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

maybe just pull the pump off?
    dont forget to get the battery indoors as well
  4. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

A word of caution on RV anti freeze. I put that in my PG and my truck sprayers and guess what? It froze solid this week. We had temps in the single digits at night this week and it was rock solid.

I'm going to put car anti-freeze in this weekend if they thaw out.
    Also the ballast in the PG tires froze solid too.:mad:
  5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

reading the lable on the RV antifreeze says that it can freeze in cold temp. but will not cause any bursting. if your system froze solid then you probly didn't have all the liquid out before using the RV af it is a RTU product. as far as using car AF, i would not do that. af for vehicles has a different type of alchol and may cause damage to the seals and diaphrams and pump, not to mention that it's not turf and animal friendly.
  6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I circulated the AF through the enitire system after draining the system and blowing it out with air.
    As far as the pets and lawns are concerned, I always drain the winterizer into jugs and take it to the garage for disposal.
    I didn't have this probelm for the last 3 years, just this year. I got the AF at an ACE hardware store and have used TSC other years, maybe the quality is worse?
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like the routine i go thru, i would just stay away from auto af.
  8. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

Old post, but I am a newer permagreen owner and was seeing if everyone thinks RV antifreeze is the way to go still?

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

rv antifreeze is the way to go that what i allways use on my sprayer
    but i always drain and blow out every thing than add rv anti freeze dont want to delute it to much with water and is more environmental friendly than auto type antifreeze
    Charles Cue
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am cheap. Drain as best I can. I use windshield wiper fluid. Circulate it through system. Use 2 gallons. Pump it into a jug in spring for next year--save it, reuse recycle. Just make sure it has not been diluted too much with water. Be sure it is still blue--if pale blue--probably too dilute. Be cautious--some anti-freeze, especially that intended for automotive use, kills grass dead.
    And yup, whatever they put in the tires will freeze.