question/advice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jsfrk, Aug 27, 2004.

1. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Would any of you deal with an independent contractor or person who finds you business?

For example.

I may have a shot to work with a company who has contracts with various commercial and residential clients. They mainly offer cleaning services, but they want to become a contractor and sub out those cleaning jobs as well as add a lawn and landscape division. I would still run my own show, but they would find some of the business and let me handle the lawn and landscape contracts. So I essentially become a sub contractor for them, paying them a slight percentage of the jobs that they provide for me. My question is, does this seem like a good or bad idea. It may sound confusing, so if it does, private message me and I will try and clarify it better. Obviously, I'd still find my own business as well.

Thanks

2. Black95gt

Black95gt LawnSite Member

I want some advice on this as well. I want to send out a letter of intent and my flyer to all the other lawn services for them to pass work on to me, or sub-contract it out to me as well. But i am with you JSFRK, I dont know if it is a good idea or not, so i would like some feedback as well.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi jsfrk,

Here are two quotes from posts about this. Maybe they will be helpful.

"In sub contracting the work I don't have to have workers comp. ins. He maintains his own liability and I mine. Checking tomorrow to see how I'm covered that way. I don't have to deal with withholding's and such. I don't have enough mowing to keep a full time employee but I have other things I do so it would be good to have the help." From this post.

"Do I need to get contractor to sign a no compete contract to make sure they don't move in on my work?

Yes , I would if I were you.

What type of percentage should I ask for?

You dont ask for a percentage , you bid the work and tell the contractor what you will pay for that job .If you are good at bidding you shouldnt have a problem.

Have never done this and don't want to cheat myself. Is there a common percentage for all jobs or does it depend on the job?

That all depends on how good of a salesman you are , You can bid too low and the contractors you sub to wont even do the work at the price you bid, as far as a percentage If I am not making at least 25 % its not worth my time. You are responsible for the quality of the work , collecting payment and paying the sub. If the customer stiffs you you still owe the sub. You will need certificates of insurance and workmans comp from the subs , also naming you as an additional insured. " From this post.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It could be a nice way to get work, until you're able to get enough clients of your own.