1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

QUESTION: briggs and stratton

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MisterLandscape, Oct 11, 2004.

1. MisterLandscape

MisterLandscape LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. Just want some feedback. What does everyone think about Briggs and Stratton especially the intek and vanguard engines. As a dealer, we have only really stocked B&S on residential units becasue of past problems with B&S. However, over the last 5 or 6 years B&S has really improved their products at least with the Intek and Vanguard. I'm wondering how the commercial guys view B&S. For example we have a particular commercial unit ZTR the has an option of a 19hp Kawi or a 21hp Vanguard. The 21 Vanguard is ALOT less than the Kawi--not to mention has more torque and horsepower. In fact its so much less (same machine just different engine) that you would have almost enough money to purchase another Vanguard engine and still be about the price as originally buying the Kawi. So what do you think?

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Ran many B&S engines ove rthe years. Did not like them. Had to beg the employer to switch to Hondas or Kawi's. I prefer the Hondas, just run smooth and never had as much trouble w/them.

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I wouldn't have any reservations about buying a mower with a b&s vanguard engine on it. I have always heard good things about them and my dealer seems to like them a lot also. I probably wouldn't want any of the other engines that b&s makes on commercial equipment though.
  4. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Check Briggs and Stratton's warranty on their different engine series. The warranty for the Vanguard is 2 years Consumer OR Commercial use. I think it is impressive they have that much confidence in the Vanguard. I had a cheaper John Deere a few years ago, with a Vanguard, it took the use and abuse just fine. IMO, other Briggs engines are ok on equipment that is not your front line, use-everyday-stuff. I have a 9 hp OHV I/C on a Troy-bilt wb with estimated 700 hours, and it does not need oil added between changes...I think that is pretty good for an I/C engine.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Exmark has started using some vanguard engines on their mowers and Ferris has a mower coming out with a 35 hp liquid cooled vanguard. From what i,ve seen and read about them I belive they would be as good as a Kohler or Kawasaki. The larger Vanguards are made by Diahiatsu which is part of toyota. I would say that they are definately good engines and I would be afraid to get one.
  6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go Kawi without a doubt.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as the Vanguard's go, I'd almost take one over a Kawi or Kohler. I'm pretty sure the air cooled Vanguards are made by Mitsubishi ( may be wrong, I'm not 100% positive on this) and they seem to run forever. We had them on steam cleaners at a rental company I used to work for, one of the 18hp ones had 4k hrs on it.. and still ran great.. IMO they are excellent engines. As for the Inteks, they look like typical B&S quality, and I, like mbricker, wouldn't want one on a "frontline" piece of equipment either, but they look a lot better quality than the old flathead B&S products..
  8. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like most times I see them on commericial mowers is when someone blows a real engine! Lol. I don't know much bout the briggs and im not going to bash them, but you have to admit almost everytime you see a mower with them on, it is because the stock kohler, kawai, honda, etc has been blown up. They throw the cheapest briggs they can find on it, piece the rest of the mower together and sell it as soon as they can. For example, I saw a toro 72" walkbehind for sale on ebay a while back, it had a 16 hp briggs on it. Way underpowered, and you can tell someone wanted to get rid of it pretty bad. I think anytime you see a used mower with a briggs for sale, avoid it like the plague!
  9. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

vanguard is 100% japan engine, 0% american -unlike the other b&s brands

I would take one any day. Best value for your buck
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

B&S earned a reputation in years past of being the "Yugo" of lawn mower engines. I don't care what they have done recently, I doubt I'd ever give them a shot. I can't immagine they're better than a Honda or Kawasaki Engine.