Question, Commercial Mowers Running Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Oct 7, 2006.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have to run on road diesel fuel in your mowers or could you not keep a tank on your property and let them deliver off road diesel fuel at a cheaper price? What is the price difference in on road and off road diesel fuel in your area? I keep a thousand gallons of off road diesel on my farm and I have never paid any attention to road diesel prices but I would think you could save money this way. You could have a fuel tank on your truck that you could fill up at your house out of the off road diesel tank and you would never have to fool with going somewhere to buy fuel. Gas is the same way, I keep a thousand gallons on my farm and they just deliver everything by tanker truck, you write all your fuel off on your taxes and it is a whole lot easier to keep up with what you spend for fuel this way.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Of course you don't have to run on-road diesel in mowers. Just like with my tractor, off-road is the ticket. Off-road basically doesn't have all our road taxes added in. If I'm not mistaken, off-road diesel in NC is around 50 cents/gallon cheaper than on-road. A private tank would be nice but quite a few small town gas stations have off-road pumps for farmers and LCO's. Just pay as you go.:)

3. puppypaws

I'm sorry that was just worded wrong, I know you don't have to run on road diesel in mowers, I just figured most people stop and fill up where ever they sell diesel fuel. I am the kind of person that would rather write a check for several thousand dollars at one time and be able to get fuel in anything I own without waiting for someone else to get out of my way. There is something that works on my mind about having to stand there and watch the meter on the pump spin those dollars and cents off faster than you can see them. I also like one bill instead of a lot of small tickets to keep up with.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I know exactly what you mean. Waiting at the pumps is just wasted time. My two concerns with what you're considering are:
    1: Do you use enough fuel to go through a tankful without it going "stale"? Being solo, I only use maybe 100 gallons per month of gasoline in my equipment (not including the trucks) during the growing season. Far less during the winter.
    2: With fuel prices fluctuating like crazy, what happens when you get 1000 gallons at $2.00/gal. and then the prices steadily fall. You're still holding $2.00/gallon fuel while others are paying $1.50? Of course that could reverse and you come out great, but what a gamble. :)

5. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

If you run a diesel off road fuel is the way to go.... the ONLY DIFFERENCE is that for "off road diesel" is that there is no "road tax" added to the price of the fuel! The BIGGEST problem is when you get popped running O.R.Diesel in an over the road vehicle! Big fine!

Off road diesel will save you some big cash! Last I remember (I think) it was like 60 cents a gallon! (could be wrong, that was about 13 years ago)

6. puppypaws

If you are using only gasoline a five hundred gallon tank would work perfectly for you. Gas can be bought a lot cheaper now because the Republican's are wanting to stay in control, there is no way under the sun gas prices could fall that fast other than price manipulation to stay in favor with the voting public. That gas want go stale on you, burn it in everything you have that burns gas and write it off on your taxes, personal vehicles and everything, the IRS does not go to work with you everyday so they don't know what you burn. They don't have any common sense, if you told them your 27 hp mower burned 5 gallons a hour they don't have a clue. I have been audited inside and out by the IRS and they ended up paying me money with back interest and they really liked that a lot. You want have to worry about seeing gas a whole lot cheaper but you will see it a whole lot higher.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that's the cool part about diesels.

You can save big burning the off-road diesel or you can make the biodiesel.
    Have a tank filled for it and top off each day.
    It's also safer for transport if you want to add a fill station to the back of the truck.

8. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Tax isn't the only difference. The on-road diesel in 500ppm Sulfur, off-road is 5000ppm. The new ultra low sulfur diesel is 15ppm.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The tax savings are blown a bit out of proportion as there are now right offs for the diesel tax in off road equipment.

Firescoby

I had never heard this before, I was infomred they were the same only died. Could you supply me with a source for your statement, I am very interested to read more about that. Thanks

10. puppypaws

You don't just write off the tax, you can write off every penny you spend on fuel you use to make a living in a legitimate business, fuel is a legal tax deduction. The reason for the tank on your property is you can buy off road fuel a lot cheaper and have it on hand and that is not taxes you let the state government use for a year and the hassle of filing your paper work to get it back. When you buy on road diesel you let your state government use your money through the road tax they collect, when you buy off road diesel you do not have your money tied up in their taxes. Gas is where it really works good because you can run gas in everything pumped out of your own tank and write every penny off as business fuel but if your wife needs gas in her personal vehicle she fills it up and you write it off. This is the easiest way of doing this because you fill up your tank, you send the man a check when he sends the bill then every penny goes as a write off, nothing to think about, business deduction.