Question, economical steps

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by matthew horner, Jan 24, 2005.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,
    I've got a request to build steps down a pretty steep incline, totaling about 50 linear feet of travel. I'd guess the incline to be about 22.5 deg. I was going to do this in stone, but I'm not sure the client will go for that cost.
    What is an alternative that some of you have tried, and what technique did you use. I'd have to do this to supreme standards.
    Thanks guys and gals :rolleyes:

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the vertical rise, and the horizontal run?

Knowing those figures will help to tell you what you can/can't use. If it's truly a 22.5 degree incline, you're looking at stairs with a 6" rise and 12" tread, or 7" rise and 14" tread, etc, etc, etc.

What kind of equipment access do you have?

The easiest may be wooden stairs; cut stringers and apply treads and risers, set the stringers on anchored posts.

Dan

3. matthew horner

dan, thanks,
    Thats what I was thinking. I've not done this kind of job before. I will be measuring again, and if you don't mind, I'll post exact measurements.
    The access is horrible, very wooded and steep. I'm out on a limb with this job, so I'm seeking the advice. I'll re post soon.
    Matthew

4. D Felix

If the access is not good, that makes the price go WAY up for anything heavy, i.e.-stone or block.

Lumber will probably be the easiest to get to where you need it, just toss it on your shoulder and go. Get a generator and tote that to where you need it, unless there's a plug-in on the house within 50 feet or so.

I've never done a set of steps like that, and really don't intend to. I HATE steps, and all of the math that is involved. Though in an outdoor situation, it's slightly easier, since you can re-grade somewhat to make the top/bottom come out where you want.

I'll be glad to help however I can.

Dan

5. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

This is to get down to a boat dock or something right? Use pavers, they look the best and the gravel and sand is better than having to do all the cuts. Cutting a stringer for a deck sucks, I couldn't imagine having to plane a surface. do the pavers, and lastly, this is a big job right, how badly do the people want it. From now on I'm going to act like I'm a conceited rich business owner and I think it'll work better than busting my ass for 12 bucks an hour. I've lost that niceness edge and now I'm hear to work. All my customers thought I was a damn charity company and I liked doing all these favors. I'll steal the friggin windows from there house is that's what it takes. Ever thought about burying a corpse under a patio?

6. D Felix

I'd rather cut stringers than hump blocks down the hill. And try to get several tons of gravel and sand downhill too. Which is what it would take to do it with pavers...

And if blocks are used, and the right *kind* of block is used, pavers wouldn't be needed at all anyway, assuming that the slope is what was estimated.

7. matthew horner

I'm going to look it over agian this week and submit an estimate. I'll let you guys know. I did'nt get the corpse thing.
    Matt