1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Question,engine vs decksize

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by costcutter, Mar 22, 2004.

1. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

am looking at new mowers and found a style I like it had a 54 inch deck and 20hp engine. a friend of mine told me that was not enough engine for the deck size. I don't undrestand because the engine should have nothing to do with the deck. I have seen this a lot on lawnsite to, can you all shed some light on this please? thanks Bill

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

The bigger the deck, the more grass it takes in and power needed to cut it. I've used 20hp with 52" decks for some time and works very well. No problem getting through tall grass and no apparent strain on the engine. Put a 60" deck with it and it may be different. I think you will be fine with it.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

It dependeds on the brand of mower and how it is set up. Mid mounts need more power than out front deck units.

Gene

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

wb or rider? I'd say it has enough power.

5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Why is that? I mean differnt power requirements for the two types.

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Costcutter THE DECk has everything to do with the engine. A hydro machine needs more HP than a gear or belt drive machine.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I'd say it is underpowered. Not sure, but I think the rule of thumb is 5 hp for each foot of deck.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a John Deere HD75 with the 54" deck and a one-cylinder Kawasaki 17HP motor. Plenty of power.

Any more than 20 HP and you are wasting fuel for power you might only need 10% or less of the time.

KB

9. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

The design of the deck makes all the difference. The older Toro decks that were shallow would need more hp than the new deeper decks. I had a 48 inch Hustler Shortcut w/17hp Kawi and it was underpowered for Florida lawns. True I didn't need more power all the time, but when I did need more power it was very frustrating and really slowed me down.

10. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

My walkbehinds are 48" and 15 to 17 HP....Iwant more power and believe you can never have enough....If you choose a
    bigger engine it won't necessarily use alot more gas all the time (see threads regarding engine size and pick up trucks....alot of times a bigger engine loafing along will be more economical than a straining smaller engine...this doesn;t even take into consideration the longevity differences between a loafing engine vs a straining engine.....I'm retrofitting a 23 Kaw on my 48"